Subdomain question

So, one of the reasons I picked up a dreamhost account was to be able to host a friend on a subdomain, which my current host (globat.com) won’t do. As far as I can tell so far, dreamhost is okay with it, so I’m not asking for trouble or anything. crosses fingers

So, my question is this. I’ve got the sub-account set up already, and I was wondering how to fix things so that they’re on a subdomain (user.domain.net).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. <3

[ETA: actually, it seems that I figured this one out. Create the subdomain in the registration area in the dreamhost panel, and then make sure you have a user.domain.net folder in the proper place for the ftp, right?]

Actually, you don’t have to create the folder, Dreamhost will do it for you when you set up the hosting for the subdomain.

Go to Manage Domain on the panel and click the “Add New Domain/Subdomain” link. For domain enter yoursubdomain.domain.com.

Please understand that if you give your friend your FTP username, they will not only have access to their subdomain, but your web site as well because Dreamhost runs subdomains on the same user as the main domain.

Seriously though…you can host as many top level domains on your account as you want. Tell your friend to cough up the $10 for the domain name registration, set them up a new FTP user on your acct (on the “users” panel), and give them their own space.

================================
Angela Gann
CrimsonDryad Web Design Services
Web Design, Custom Software Development
http://www.crimsondryad.com

[Please understand that if you give your friend your FTP username, they will not only have access to their subdomain, but your web site as well because Dreamhost runs subdomains on the same user as the main domain.]

Right, that was the part I was looking to avoid. XD It’s not a trust issue so much as a safeguard against a new ftp-er putting files in the wrong spot issue.

The whole of the issue is this. I’ve got two top-level domains on my hosted space right now; one for myself, and one for the area where I’m planning on putting hostees (friend, plus a domain if I have another friend who needs some webspace). I wanted to try it out to see if it worked before offering, so I created another ftp account, and then a subdomain for them to be in. Then I logged into the second ftp account to check and see what kind of folders and whatnot they have access to. There’s the “subdomain.domain.net” folder, a mail folder and a log folder; but nothing beyond that. They can’t see the main domain.net folder, and can’t get access to anything above the default folder they’ve been given. I uploaded a mock-up webpage into the subdomain.domain folder, and it works fine when I try to go there from the browser.

This seems to be what I want. Is it going to run me into problems later? (She’s more than welcome to get her own domain name, but if she doesn’t, it won’t be a problem. Unless the current setup is an issue. :D)

Thanks again. <3

Is this going to run me into problems.

Hrm. I was under the impression that a particular user “owned” the domain and all subdomains, but maybe that’s not the case.

If your subdomain user can’t access the top level domain, then you should be good to go.

================================
Angela Gann
CrimsonDryad Web Design Services
Web Design, Custom Software Development
http://www.crimsondryad.com

We learn new things every day, no? At my last host, creating new subdomains was as easy as making a subdomain.domain.net folder in your ftp, so I’m still trying to work my way around things.

Thank you so much for your time! <3