Subdomain Mirror Subfolder?

I’ve tried to see if this has been covered elsewhere, but I haven’t seen anything yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My old host handled sub-domains like this…
images.domain.com was the exact same as domain.com/images

You could get to a file with images.domain.com/file or domain.com/images/file exactly the same way. In FTP there was only the domain.com/images subdomain.

I’m moving my site from my old host to my new space here at dreamhost, but I don’t see a way for a subfolder to be treated as a subdomain. My problem is that some things are accessed both ways. If possible I’d like to setup a subdomain like it was at my old host… any way to do this? Thanks.

I haven’t tried this, but when adding the sub-domain you get to specify the web directory that it will be served from, it may be possible to simply specify /home/username/domain.com/images for the sub-domain and obtain the result you want.

Like I said, I haven’t tried this myself, but I think it might work, assuming both the domain and the sub-domain are controlled by the same machine user.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of that.

I just set it up like that, but I don’t have my nameservers for that domain switched yet, so I won’t know if it works for a little while. I’ll be sure to post whether it works or not for everyone’s reference.

Thanks again for the help.

Well, that did work! Thanks again for the help.

Excellent, thanks for coming back with the result, if the question comes up again I will be more confident in offering the above fix. :slight_smile:

No problem, I am just glad I could be of some assistance.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Do you know if this would also work for full domains?

I can’t see any obvious reason why it wouldn’t also work for full domains, try it and see. :slight_smile:

One thing to note, there have been some reports of things not working exactly as intended when configuring sub-domains this way and later installing custom PHP setups in the parent domain and/or the sub-domain. I haven’t yet had time to research this, so all I can say is that others have had problems with this.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)