Subdomain, how long till its available

I’ve read a few posts saying that after setting up a subdomain, it may take anywhere from 1-5 hours before it’s actually done and pointing to where you’ve directed it.

My question is, I noticed after setting up a subdomain, there is a clock icon next to it for a few minutes. Does this clock going away signal the domain is available? I set up a temp domain for my site to dreamhoster.com a few hours ago, the icon is gone, and the site is still not there. I am patient, but I don’t wanna wait when there might be something else I need to do to get this to work.

It’s just to indicate that setting up the sub-domain takes ‘time’. It doesn’t mean that when the icon has gone it will be ready :slight_smile: .

You’ll also see it when you set up email accounts.

Norm

Well, I can understand that is can take a couple hours to populate. I really hope I can get this working since I want to have sub-domains for my blog and gallery and such.

Cephiros.

What you might find useful is to precreate a few subdomains and MySql databases so that they are ready for the day when you suddenly need one or the other. Afterall there is plenty of disk space :slight_smile: .

It will probably be difficult to decide beforehand on a subdomain but you can start with ‘test1’ and rename it later (adjusting any pathnames of course). Unless you want something like gallery.example.com or blog.example.com etc.

The database name is not such of a problem so it to can be something like test123. It’s the table names under the database that matter. Unless of course unusually a piece of software demands a specific database name.

Norm