SubDomain Email Configuration and Testing

Hello,

I brand new to DH. I set up a subdomain of 5by9.dreamhosters.com for testing before moving my real domain. This address resolves just fine. I read that I need to use mail.5by9.dreamhosters.com as my incoming IMAP server. This address doesn’t resolve. webmail.5by9.dreamhosters.com doesn’t resolve either. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Mike

You won’t be able to configure mail on a dreamhosters.com subdomain… you will need a domain that you own.

Thanks for your reply.

So, then I can’t test before I go live?

My only issue with my current webhost and email provider is their email fragile IMAP interface. They use something called EmailArchitect. Perhaps I’ll just have to stay where I am then.

Thanks,
Mike

You can test as much as you want before you go live. You just can’t use a domain that you don’t own (in this case dreamhosters.com) as the mail serving address. That would be mail spoofing. Just use your own legitimate mail serving address or a temporary gmail address w/e. If your tests rely on the local mailing architecture you could register a 5by9dev.net development domain name and use that as your testbed for the real domain.

Thank you for your responses.

However, the only issue seems to be that the mail.xxx and webmail.xxx names hadn’t yet propagated the dns’s. The subdomain email is working fine now and I have begun testing.

Thanks,
Mike