Subdirectories & Subdomains & WP Vanity Links

First thing I did was create a page in WordPress to display my blog entries in, to be accessible via [mysite.com/blog].

Then I realized I wanted it to be accessible via a subdomain [blog.mysite.com], created the new subdomain, and pointed the storage to [mysite.com/blog].

I waited a few days and it still wasn’t doing what I wanted it to do. Then I realized that the WP page wasn’t actually located on the server in the subdirectory [mysite.com/blog], that was just the vanity link from WP. So I guessed that what I had done wasn’t actually going to let people type in the subdomain and have that page load.

For the time between when I realized that (and made no changes) and today, the page would load just fine when I tried to access it via the permalink [mysite.com/blog]. But today that URL began to load as the typical DH parked domain page, which is of course a problem for me.

Following that I fully deleted the subdomain entry about 6 hours ago, but the permalink that should load the page still sends me to the parked page. Is it just that it’s taking a lot longer to register the deletion? It usually takes less than an hour for me. My blog being inaccessible is kind of bad. :frowning:

And whatever happens, I would still like visitors to be able to access it through the subdomain. Would it be better to use a redirect, then? I’d rather not cloak it, since the blog is actually inline with the site and its design (it’s on the navbar for the rest of the site, the theme is the same, etc.). I wouldn’t want the subdomain to keep displaying in the address bar when visitors are browsing the rest of the site.

Thanks in advance if you can help me!

From reading the above we don’t understand how Wordpress was installed earlier. There are 4 basic choices and the answer to your question is somewhat dependent. The choice are:
1 - Dreamhost one-click simple install
2 - Dreamhost one-click custom install
3 - manual install in dreamhost
4 - installation elsewhere other than dreamhost.

FYI - when you get this mess untangled i would highly recommend that you get yourself a ‘test’ or ‘staging’ site, so that you can try these things out on a test site before applying them to a live site. “My blog being inaccessible is kind of bad.” is pretty common to read, yet the problem was created by not understanding the effect of an action you made.

[quote=“LakeRat, post:2, topic:55754”]
From reading the above we don’t understand how Wordpress was installed earlier. There are 4 basic choices and the answer to your question is somewhat dependent. The choice are:
1 - Dreamhost one-click simple install
2 - Dreamhost one-click custom install
3 - manual install in dreamhost
4 - installation elsewhere other than dreamhost.

FYI - when you get this mess untangled i would highly recommend that you get yourself a ‘test’ or ‘staging’ site, so that you can try these things out on a test site before applying them to a live site. “My blog being inaccessible is kind of bad.” is pretty common to read, yet the problem was created by not understanding the effect of an action you made.[/quote]

Thank you for the reply. Sorry, it’s my first time actually making a serious website with WordPress. It was a one-click custom install in DreamHost. I’m rolled back to 3.1.4 if that makes a difference.

I’ve been having little snafus all week making little mistakes (a little of out of practice in coding). The test site sounds like a good idea… is there a particular way I should go about setting one up? Just do another one-click setup to a new subdirectory/subdomain?

The theme I have isn’t quite up to my standards, but I don’t have the extra time to get that all done in one fell swoop. So I usually small changes pretty often. It seems like it would be a bit of a hassle to copy & paste or import the files in the way that I usually work. But I’m sure there is an easier way of everything I do. :slight_smile:

I figured it out: When I set up the subdomain, DreamHost created that subdirectory in the server [mysite.com/blog] that didn’t delete itself when I deleted the domain from the DreamHost panel. The solution was to delete that subdirectory on the server, and then set up the redirect on the DreamHost panel. It’s all working now!