Sub-domains

Can anybody tell me the difference betweena sub-domain and a sub-directory of a web site.

For Bushwalking poetry go to www.greenaissance.com
Bushwalkers do it minimul impact

that’s easy. :slight_smile: a sub-domain is http://something.example.com (where somethign is your sub-domain) and www.example.com/something is a sub-directory.

Does that clear things up?

-Matttail

yes thank you. if I wanted to creat a sub-directory using FrontPage (I know how to creat one in FrontPage) where do I creat it in my site in DreamHost. I hope you know what I mean.

I am not that familiar with FrontPage, but it is possible that FrontPage will create the sub-directory on your host automatically when uploading the site.

If not, then you can create the sub-directory manually using an FTP client or via SSH. You would create the sub-directory in the root directory that has the same name as your domain.

For example; If your domain is greenaissance.com, when you access your host with an FTP client you will see a directory called greenaissance.com, you would create the sub-directory in this root directory. Something like greenaissance.com/subdirectory

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

thank you - would a sub-domain or a sub-dorectory be better if I want to sell site to someone as part of my main site eg. www.your-wedding.org/johnandjoan or www.johnandjoan/your-wedding.org

It really depends on what you intend to do.

If these user sites are to be managed by you and linked from the main site, you are probably better going with sub-directories (ie: www.your-wedding.org/johnandjoan).

However, if the users are going to manage the site themselves, logging in via FTP and uploading files, it will be easier to organise as sub-domains under separate machine/ftp users (ie: www.johnandjoan.your-wedding.org).

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I like to use subdomains for things that are distinct sites but related in a “family”, like webtips.dan.info for my web tips site and mailformat.dan.info for my site about e-mail formatting. Parts of one of those sites are in subdirectories, like the subsection of the mail format site about headers. I always include the trailing slash when giving a subdirectory URL, to save an unnecessary server redirection.

– Dan