Sub-domains to external IP

Can I point sub-domains to specific IPs? Is there some sort of dyndns service? I have my own mail server and software that I support, and I want my mail.domain.com to be my home computer behind my DSL but have my main web domains (domain.com and www.domain.com) to be on dreamhost.

With the plans that offer custom DNS, you can point it anywhere. There is no dyndns service though.

You don’t have to have a plan that has the custom DNS panel - you can always request that support add such a record.

For dynamic DNS, the best workaround is to add a hostname within your dynamic DNS provider’s domain, and then point a CNAME to that for a record within your domain.

Are you suggesting I use an extra domain to point to my external servers, and then point my dreamhost subdomains to those? If that’s my option then I might as well just use the extra domain for all those purposes. I guess I could register dyndns.org domains for those things and then point my domains to those.

Do I have to request from support to do the CNAME things or can I do that myself?

Whether you can setup your own CNAME depends on what plan you have. When I had DH support set one up, it was handled pretty quickly.

In my case, I have a dynamic IP at home, so I signed up with www.dyndns.org (my home router automatically works with that service) and had the CNAME refer to that name.

How about just hosting a sub-domain with DH? That way I can keep my current domain the way it is, but use DH for some specific hosting purposes.

I have a main domain with DH, I’m just looking the ability to host some content off of a different domain.

OK, I solved the problem by making a CNAME from a subdomain of my personally hosted domain to a subdomain of my DH hosted domain. So now I can have some hosting on DH while using my already established personal domain.

It’s a decent workaround until I decide if my personal domain (and e-mail) should be moved to DH.

And, of course, this doesn’t work for web stuff because it’s a shared server and the virtual domain for my personal domain isn’t set up to forward it on. Maybe support will help me out.

Right - doing a CNAME with name-based virtual hosting will only work if the target has a unique IP. That is a pretty clean way to do it, though.

A unique IP is $4.95/mo if your plan doesn’t include it.

Support did help me out. They told me I could add whatever domains I wanted and just choose not to change the NS servers of that domain over to them. Then I can set up the subdomains and simply point them to a different DH domain. I chose to mirror one of my existing sites, and instead of a CNAME, I chose to have an A record for my domain and just use a cron script to keep it in sync w/ the mirrored domain.

Just be careful - I’m pretty sure that the mirrored domain will not always be on the same Apache instance as the domain it’s mirroring - so pointing the A record to the same IP as the main domain may not always work.