sub-domains/DNS

Okay, first off I apologize if this is a redundant post or if the answer to this question is on the wiki. I did a search but got nervous that what I want to do is somehow harder than I think it is.

Essentially: My group just set up a webpage and chose dreamhost as our host. When people go to www.thedayjob.net, they should get our front page and links to all of our material and multimedia. Simple enough. But what we’d also like is for each group member (there are 7 of us total) to get a sub domain (mine would be tony.thedayjob.net, for example) that we can use for personal projects (mostly blogs, but also resume related things…just a personal webpage.) The domain wouldn’t redirect to or from anywhere. We just think that name.thedayjob.net looks cooler and more official than say “thedayjob.net/name”.
I’m really unsure what the implications of setting up 7 sub domains are, either for the efficiency of the site or cost-wise with dreamhost. If it comes down to it, we could just have “members.thedayjob.net/membername”, but obviously that isn’t our first choice. So far all of the material I’ve read makes it sound like sub domains are for sub hosting (which sounds a lot like subleasing an apartment) or for redirecting from another host. We really just want to have nifty personal sites we can put on business cards and resumes, etc.
I was going to just throw caution to the wind and try setting up mine first, but the add DNS record wants a value and a comment and I don’t know what to enter or what it even refers to. I guess that’s why it says not to do anything unless you’re an advanced user. Can someone be really kind and let me know if all of this is possible?

Thanks so much

Sounds like you’re the owner/admin. You should first set up a thedayjob.net domain. Here are the steps in the Control Panel to get where you want to go:

1. Domains->Manage Domains->Add New Domain/SubDomain
    In the Fully Hosted, set up thedayjob.net owned by you. I recommend using the “add www” setting for this domain.
  2. Users->Manage Users->Add a New User and do this for each of your 6 other subdomain owners (you already have yourself set up).
  3. Back do Manage Domains. Add a new SubDomain (tony.thedayjob.net, etc) owned by the respective user. I recommend the “remove www” setting for these subdomains.
  4. Wait a couple of days for the dust to settle and DNS to catch up before your site goes live.

If these other people need Control Panel access for one-click installs and database management, you’ll have to go to Billing->Account Privileges to let each user have Domain privilege for their own domain.

-Scott

Subdomains are unlimited now on Dreamhost, just like “regular” domains, and can be created for any (legal) purpose. You can set them up as “fully hosted” so you can put any Web pages you want in each of them, independently of one another and of your main site.

– Dan

Just a little follow up on the above. You can host unlimited sub-domains and there’s no reason not to do that for what you want. It won’t be ineffiecnt in any way.

Each domain you ‘fully host’ will be completely seperate from your main domain. Also as fully hosted, you won’t be redirecting from anywhere, dreamhost will be hosting (and serving) your domain and sub-domain.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website