Sub-domains and backups

I recently realized that I have a whole lot of unused space just lying around in my domain.

I’m considering setting up a sub-domain and using it as an “off site” back-up for my PC via ftp. Has anyone else done this? Are there any restrictions against this (don’t see why there would be…). And is such a method secure if there’s no index for the site? If it’s just a file dump not a website?

If you only intend to access this ‘backup’ via FTP, you don’t need a sub-domain at all, just a new user. Each user has their own home directory and when you log-in via FTP using that user’s credentials you only see the files in that users home directory.

Well, it will be as secure as anything else on a shared server. :wink: I wouldn’t put any super sensitive data on there without encrypting it first, but for most things the level of security should be fine.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

if you put the files in the server, they are open to the public. You may consider to protect the files by setting up htaccess. http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Htaccess

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

um, no. If he puts the files in a web directory they are ‘open to the world’. However, if he puts them in his users home directory, as suggested above, they are not publicly accessible and are as safe as files on a shared server can be.

Any extra protection offered by .htaccess is only relevant if he stores the files in a web directory, which would be a silly thing to do. .htaccess offers no extra protection for files not in a web directory.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Oh, ya… If you upload the files in the home directory, but not the web directory. It is safe.

I almost miss this safe place.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Also, if he creates a new user specifically for this purpose, and does not have any (sub)domains owned by this user, there will be no web directories in this users home directory, so no chance of accidentally uploading his sensitive files to a publicly accessible directory. :slight_smile:

Mark

yep. I got it now :wink:

I’d probably make a subdirectory called “backup” to put that stuff in, rather than putting it directly in the home directory of a user, just in case other stuff needs to eventually be created in that directory, so it’s not cluttered.

I just wonder whether Dreamhost regards it as against their terms of service to use their servers for backups, file storage, etc., unrelated to a website: Rule 7 says “The customer agrees to make use of DreamHost Webhosting servers primarily for the purpose of hosting a website, and associated email functions.” It goes on to say that they reserve the right to remove things that disrupt their servers such as CPU-intensive processes, but doesn’t say anything about using lots of disk space for non-web-related purposes.

– Dan

and remember to chmod 700

BUGabundo :o)
http://BrinKadeiraS.BUGabundo.net
promo here
50$ discount with promo code “BUG50” on ALL plans