Sub Domain

I would like to host a sub domain on my account, however, the domain name is not hosted or registered with Dreamhost. Can someone tell me how to make this happen using Dreamhost’s hosting panel?

Set up the domain for hosting on DreamHost as if it were hosted at DreamHost. Then setup your sub-domain on DreamHost.
You will need to set up nameserver records for the sub-domain in your DNS zone for the domain.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK! :@

Act on my advice at your own risk!

Ok, that’s done. Now should I need to find out the IP of this new subdomain site (which I believe I can get from the DH control panel) and then pass that along to the person who controls the DNS for the domain so that their DNS records point the subdomain to DH’s server?

I see an IP listed for the newly created subdomain, but when I try to browse to it directly, I get “Site Temporarily Unavailable.” Am I to assume that you can’t browse to that box directly without the full subdomain (apache feature or something)?

Yes you can get the DNS details from the manage domain page by clicking on the DNS link next to your sub-domain. Sometimes it takes a while to appear so just keep checking it if it has not shown up yet.

You will then need to wait 0-72 hours for the DNS zone to propagate around the net before you can view your new site at DreamHost. However you can mirror it to a *.dreamhosters.com site so you can start working on the site.

See the wiki page here for details.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK! :@

Act on my advice at your own risk!