Sub Domain?

Hi,

I’m farely new when it comes to domains and stuff,I know how to make a mysite.com/url subdomain but I have seen some sites that have name.mysite.com kind of subdomain.

How exactly do you make a subdomain like that? Is there any tut or something? Thanks

Regards

Mick

Under Manage Domains, choose to add a new domain / sub-domain. Just type in the sub-domain you want and fully host it as you would with a normal domain name.

Save $97 on all yearly plans with the promo code [color=#CC0000]DREAMZAP[/color] – zaps the monthly plans too!

Just to expand on what Jewels wrote;

Unlike many hosts, DreamHost does not configure sub-Domains as sub-directories of the parent domain. Each sub-domain on DreamHost gets it’s own web accessable directory in your home directory and for all practical purposes can be considered the same as a full domain.

For example; If you have the domain example.com already hosted on dreamhost and you add the sub-domain sub.example.com, your home directory will contain the following directories.

[color=#0000CC]example.com
sub.example.com[/color]

You can then upload the relevant site files to these directories.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

thanks for the info guys helped me alot :),now that I got this subdomain going I was wondering how some sites get there subdomains under their main domain in google search.

ie: when you search yahoo in google search you get:
Mail - The best web-based email! - mail.yahoo.com/
Finance - finance.yahoo.com/
Radio - music.yahoo.com/
Movies - movies.yahoo.com/
More results from yahoo.com »

How do you get your subdomains listed like that under your main domain? Does google do it or do you have to edit something on your htaccess?

Thanks

Regards

Mick

I think this is ‘a Google thing’, if they have multiple sub-domains indexed and Google think they are related, that is how they are displayed.

About the only thing I can think of that might help would be to make sure that the sub-domains have related content and are well linked to each other.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )