Sub-domain question...?

i know how to create one, i just have some questions about sub-domains.
-would they be under my original domain name? (ie; www.mydomain.com/subdomain)
-can i make the sub-domain have it’s own website seperate from my own?
-why do other people have a sub-domain for?

the reason i’m asking is that i’m creating websites and i want to be able to upload the files for the clients website to a sub-domain so they can access and see the progress. will this work?

thanks so much!

okay, i’ve read the wiki…and just one last question please before i jump in.

if my original domain is mydomain.com (i’m omitting the http://www as this doesn’t pertain to my question) and i set up a subdomain that is subdomain.com would the viewer go to:
subdomain.com or…
mydomain.com/subdomain?

i am sorry but i do not understand a lot of this, okay? most of this wording goes right by me. it’s not that i am not trying…i just don’t understand.
i do appreciate your help though.

i set up a subdomain. went to that subdomain’s ftp to upload and got an error message. i then went to my ftp and saw that there is a new folder in there for my sub-domains name. so i uploaded my new index files to that folder. but i press visit and i get an error message.
so how do i “view” my new subdomain?
when i go to my control panel i see 2 seperate domains there. do i have to create folders in the subdomain to use the ftp??? i thought that this was suppossed to be done for me.

when i created the sub-domain it said that the web directory is:
/home/darkedge(on brisk)/WorldOfAeraea.com/
so i am unsure of what to type for viewing???
would “home” = darkedgedesign.com???

i’ve tried various spellings and combinations with no success.

You have uploaded the files to the correct directory. When you add a new domain or sub-domain via the panel, a new sub-directory is automatically created for that domain within the home directory of the user that you specified as the controlling user for that domain. This sub-directory will by default be named the same as the domain or sub-domain (ie: mydomain.com).

I am guessing that the DNS information for your sub-domain has not yet fully propagated and this is the reason you cannot browse to the sub-domain yet, it is also likely to be the reason you could not specify the sub-domain when logging in via FTP.

[quote]when i created the sub-domain it said that the web directory is:
/home/darkedge(on brisk)/WorldOfAeraea.com/
so i am unsure of what to type for viewing???
would “home” = darkedgedesign.com???[/quote]
/home/darkedge/ is the home directory for user ‘darkedge’.

You can specify any directory you wish as the web-directory for the sub-domain, but you will still access it as subdomain.mydomain.com from your browser.

Edit: By the way, WorldOfAeraea.com is a full domain, not a sub-domain. A sub-domain would look something like WorldOfAeraea.darkedgedesign.com.

To add another full domain to the system, you must first register the domain name, otherwise the domain will not be accessible. Sub-domains on the other hand, only require that the parent domain name has been registered.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

“Edit: By the way, WorldOfAeraea.com is a full domain, not a sub-domain. A sub-domain would look something like WorldOfAeraea.darkedgedesign.com.”

okay, that has to be the problem. i set it up as a domain instead of a sub-domain.
i deleted the WorldOfAeraea.com.

now i’m back at the add domain/sub-domain page and i don’t see anything that i would do different! (???). it has to be how i’m naming it i guess.
i’ve tried “worldofaeraea.” and it said that it can’t end in a dot. i tried “worldofaeraea” and it said it must contain a dot! lol! what the heck!?
can someone please tell me how to word this thing?
i want it as a sub-domain under mine. mine is darkedgedesign.com
i want the sub-domain to be something like “worldofaeraea”.

ahhhh. i think i got it now.
i entered worldofaeraea.darkedgedesign.com and it registered as a sub-domain.

thank you raz, you hit the nail on the head!

Yep, thats how you enter sub-domains, but you already know that now. :slight_smile:

Note: What I said above, regarding DNS information taking time to propagate, still holds. The sub-domain can take a while before you will be able to access it via a browser.

No problem, I am always glad to help where I can. I know from past experience that these things can be difficult when starting out, so much to learn and so little time, but fortunately, after a while it all starts to gel and things become a lot easier.

Good luck.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

yes, it has a little timer beside it now.
but i don’t see a folder anywhere, will that appear in time???

yes, so much to learn…my brain is full.

thanks again mark for your assistance and not being condescending in your replies.

Yes, once the timer icon has vanished, the directory should appear in your home directory. The timer icon is telling you that the creation process for that sub-domain has been queued in the system. I would suspect that icon to vanish pretty quickly.

However, the DNS propagation issue is not related to that timer icon, even when the timer has vanished, you will still have a period where the domain is not reachable by browser, although you can still upload your content during this period. Fortunately, sub-domains become reachable faster than full domains, but there is still a delay, so be patient. :slight_smile:

Mark

More explanation of subdomains is at http://domains.dan.info/structure/subdomains.html.

– Dan