Stuck trying to deploy a simple Rails3 application

Hi all,

I’m trying to deploy a super-simple Rails3 app in my DreamHost account. It’s just a test app - the app has one model, and uses carrierwave to allow file uploads. By the way, I have already looked at the wiki (http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Ruby_on_Rails), and jumped through lots of hoops to get this far. But when I access the app in a browser, it returns a 404, without any useful error in the log file.

Here’s what I’ve done:

[list]
[]Setup the domain as a fully hosted domain with Passenger enabled.
[
]Copied my app up to the right directory.
[]Fiddled with the Gemfile to allow my app to use the Dreamhost-provided rmagick. Also, it needed a JavaScript environment to run rake - I added therubyracer gem. I had to fix rake to version 0.8.7 to avoid some obscure error. Finally I had to comment-out coffee-rails for some reason.
[
]Had to erase one line (//= require_tree .) in app/assets/javascripts/application.js.
[]Eventually, ran bundle successfully.
[
]Eventually, ran rake db:migrate successfully.
[*]Enabled debug level logging by editing config/environments/production.rb and setting (config.log_level = :debug)

[/list]

Now, after touching tmp/restart.txt, the app takes several seconds to respond. Eventually, it returns what looks like the standard 404 HTML template.

However, the log/production.log file just says the following:

[quote]Connecting to database specified by database.yml

Started GET “/” for 198.144.202.78 at Tue Aug 14 13:46:54 -0700 2012
Processing by HomeController#index as HTML
Rendered home/index.html.erb within layouts/application (4.8ms)

Started GET “/internal_error.html” for 198.144.202.78 at Tue Aug 14 13:46:54 -0700 2012

ActionController::RoutingError (No route matches [GET] “/internal_error.html”):
actionpack (3.2.8) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/debug_exceptions.rb:21:in call' actionpack (3.2.8) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/show_exceptions.rb:56:incall’
railties (3.2.8) lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:26:in call_app' railties (3.2.8) lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:16:incall’
actionpack (3.2.8) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/request_id.rb:22:in call' rack (1.4.1) lib/rack/methodoverride.rb:21:incall’
rack (1.4.1) lib/rack/runtime.rb:17:in call' activesupport (3.2.8) lib/active_support/cache/strategy/local_cache.rb:72:incall’
rack (1.4.1) lib/rack/lock.rb:15:in call' rack-cache (1.2) lib/rack/cache/context.rb:136:inforward’
rack-cache (1.2) lib/rack/cache/context.rb:245:in fetch' rack-cache (1.2) lib/rack/cache/context.rb:185:inlookup’
rack-cache (1.2) lib/rack/cache/context.rb:66:in call!' rack-cache (1.2) lib/rack/cache/context.rb:51:incall’
railties (3.2.8) lib/rails/engine.rb:479:in call' railties (3.2.8) lib/rails/application.rb:223:incall’
railties (3.2.8) lib/rails/railtie/configurable.rb:30:in send' railties (3.2.8) lib/rails/railtie/configurable.rb:30:inmethod_missing’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/rack/request_handler.rb:96:in process_request' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_request_handler.rb:513:inaccept_and_process_next_request’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_request_handler.rb:274:in main_loop' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/rack/application_spawner.rb:205:instart_request_handler’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/rack/application_spawner.rb:170:in send' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/rack/application_spawner.rb:170:inhandle_spawn_application’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/utils.rb:479:in safe_fork' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/rack/application_spawner.rb:165:inhandle_spawn_application’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:357:in __send__' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:357:inserver_main_loop’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:206:in start_synchronously' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:180:instart’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/rack/application_spawner.rb:128:in start' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/spawn_manager.rb:253:inspawn_rack_application’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server_collection.rb:132:in lookup_or_add' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/spawn_manager.rb:246:inspawn_rack_application’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server_collection.rb:82:in synchronize' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server_collection.rb:79:insynchronize’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/spawn_manager.rb:244:in spawn_rack_application' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/spawn_manager.rb:137:inspawn_application’
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/spawn_manager.rb:275:in handle_spawn_application' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:357:insend
/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:357:in server_main_loop' /dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:206:instart_synchronously’
/dh/passenger/helper-scripts/passenger-spawn-server:99
[/quote]

There’s nothing useful I can see in that error. It apparently encountered an error (which it doesn’t disclose) and now can’t find the error page. (I did create a simple HTML page at public/internal_error.html

Any ideas? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Thanks,

Antun