Stubborn .htaccess

Hello all :slight_smile:

Hope someone will be able to see the solution …

Here, I’m working with a photo gallery for 2 years now. One of its function is too allow download with a password, protected by htaccess.
2 years ago, it worked perfectly ( I was not a dreamhost though )
2 years later, htaccess is stubborn and keep asking for password, even when it’s the good one.

Why ? Is it something to do with protection on server and/or permissions ?

There is supposed to be a file with the usernames and their passwords in it. Perhaps Apache isn’t able to read the file, or the .htaccess file has the wrong path.

:cool: openvein.org -//-

The password and login are in the .htpasswd, the password is encrypted.

Why would apache wouldn’t be able to read it ?

Here what it looks like :

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Secure"
AuthUserFile /mnt/local/home/myftplogin/mydomain/photos/2/4564334/.htpasswd
require valid-user

[quote]/mnt/local/home/myftplogin/mydomain/photos/2/4564334/.htpasswd
require valid-user[/quote]
For shared hosting on DreamHost, the path would be /home/username/mydomain/photos/2/4564334/.htpasswd

Sounds like your old host used different paths.

I changed the path but it didn’t change anything.

I don’t see why it doesn’t want to work !

What are the permissions on the .htpasswd file? Try changing it to 644 if it isn’t already.

already in 644 :frowning:

I made some test : I put the .htaccess and .htpasswd in the root and it worked like a charm.
So, I left the htpasswd in the root, change the path in the htaccess and put the htaccess in the folder I want to protect.
Nothing : it keeps asking over and over again

Edit : I tried the htaccess in the root with path to photo folder with htpasswd in it.
It works. Of course it ask for login/password when you load index, which isn’t what I want. I was just testing.

It something to do with the folder containing originals. It worked everywhere else, except in that folder !!

Done every test and different way to write a htaccess file. It won’t work.

I moved to Dreamhost because Bluehost is messing with file permission : you can’t put 777 or 666. It blow up old script.
Now I can’t manage to work a single htaccess. How can that be ??

[quote]I moved to Dreamhost because Bluehost is messing with file permission : you can’t put 777 or 666. It blow up old script.
Now I can’t manage to work a single htaccess. How can that be ??[/quote]
That might be the problem. Its insecure to use 777 or 666 for permissions on a shared hosting server. You shouldn’t need to use 777 if your Gallery script is running PHP as CGI instead of a mod_php anyways. Try setting the directories to 755 and files to 644.

Though I haven’t been able to duplicate your problem myself. Uh, if you don’t want people downloading files from the directory at all, try using this instead:

# Deny connections from anyone deny from all
That way you’d have to use FTP/SFTP/shell to get at the files.

However I suggest backing up the password file, and fixing the permissions (again 775 for directories and 644 for files) and then go to the DreamHost Web Panel. Once there, choose Goodies -> Htaccess/WebDAV and select the domain. Type in the directory path, check off “Password-protect this dir?”, and specify usernames and passwords. Ignore the other options. Then submit the form.

Most are already in 755 and 644 : the folder supposed to be protected is already in 755

Rename the folder temporarily and see if it works.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Ok, I renamed the folder but the script didn’t like.
Renamed the folder in the admin script and got this :

Warning: rename(/mnt/local/home/pmksensei/maybegreen.tech-hippie.com/photos/1/73700367,/mnt/local/home/pmksensei/maybegreen.tech-hippie.com/photos/1/007) [function.rename]: No such file or directory in /mnt/local/home/pmksensei/maybegreen.tech-hippie.com/includes/admin.inc.php on line 93
Could not rename folder for original files. Please make sure it exists!

So, I changed the folder number in the admin and it changed in the ftp but still no luch with htaccess. Keep saying I don’t have the good login/pass

Browse directly to the folder itself in order to test the .htpasswd functionality.

Of course, I wouldn’t say it doesn’t work otherwise :stuck_out_tongue:

Keep asking for login/pass

htpasswd is in root and htaccess give path to htpasswd.

I think you’re going to have to review your paths.

That’s the htaccess :

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Private"
AuthUserFile /home/pmksensei/maybegreen.tech-hippie.com/.htpasswd
require valid-user

htaccess is in : /maybegreen.tech-hippie.com/photos/1[category number]/[a-big-number-random-each-time-a-new-category-is-create]/.htaccess

when I want to download a photo, it calls that path.