Strange google file wont delete

Hi

I’m trying to get rid of a subdomain, and I went to delete the contents of it first, but there was a file called “google5dbfda5a4b10c763.html” in it that won’t delete.

If I try to delete the google file it tells me the file doesn’t exist. If I try to delete the subdomain folder that the google file is in via FTP it says I cant because there is a file in it.

If I try to delete it in webftp it throws up a mysql error saying the google file doesn’t exist and then doesn’t delete the folder.

So I went into domain management and did a “kill this domain” on it, and it now doesn’t appear in my list of domains, but if I FTP in, then its still there with the dreaded google file in it. I thought it might just be in a queue to be deleted or something, but I “killed” a couple of other subdomains after that one, ones that did NOT have a google file in them, and they are gone completely and not showing up in FTP.

Can anyone advise what I can do to get rid of it?

I had a similar file on one of my sites. it was google814300cb143768f1.html I used the ftp program - fetch (on a mac) and it deleted fine. Do you have the ability to use wsftp or another externail ftp program (not webftp)?

It deleted fine. I did open it up and it contained nothing. I also would like to know where this file came from.

yes I tried deleting it with ws_ftp and it didnt work.

I found this post on the same subject…hope it helps. My brother must have put that file up…luckily I kept a copy and will put it back.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/html/3148847.htm

If you go to the link provided you’ll find it’s an affiliate identifier file from google. A good thing if you want credit with google!

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

ok that explains what it is, but why can’t I delete it? It’s still there… :frowning:

Did you try to ssh in and do: rm -rf google5dbfda5a4b10c763.html

?

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on Dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]SRVR97[/color]

If you’ve signed up with a google affiliate program (such as adwords) you will want that file. But the advice about getting rid of it should hold.

If you want to make it easier on us - log into your server using ssh (putty or ssh) and send us the output of a ls -al goo*. From this we’ll be able to see the owner and group and the permissions for the file.

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.