Storage space

i dont understand much… I have no idea what pearl and squirel means…but I am starting to put a lot of movies on my website for people to view…

I want to be able to check how much space I have left on my website to store stuff. Is there a “SIMPLE” way of doing that? Like a Bar graph or left somewhere? Something User friendly for people that arent CS Majors PULEAZE!!

You just need to look at the “Bandwidth” page in your Web Panel:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=status.disk&

At the end of the page, there’s a section named “disk usage by plan” – this contains the overall summary. It would state something like “Provided = 800 MB” and “Current = 514 MB”. Note that “Current” is updated once a day, so it may not be accurate if you’ve recently changed a lot.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebID /// Compare plans

I found Bandwidth in my Web Panel under Status. right under that is Disk Usage. (but like your link it just spins & spins in my browser) At the bottom of the Bandwidth page is Bandwidth by plan.

I always thought Bandwidth was how much other people where allowed to acces from my site. There is a principle problem still of me not knowing the difference between Bandwidth and Disk Usage.

all those stats I feel like Im just expected to know. oh man… that’s so confusing especially for a basic user. BW THROTTLING ?? what the hell does that mean?

There’s not much easy explanation to any of this. I’ve been a customer for going on 5 years and I have hardly understood any of this stuff.

Whats the difference between Bandwidth and Disk Usage?

What is a good way to maximize my disk storage so I can expand my site with more fun movies and such.

The other day a friend was uploading a huge 3D model with an animation to my site and it would not upload unless I cleared out space on my ftp (deleted files) So somewhere there should be a freakin Pie Chart saying NOT ENOUGH SPACE DELETE FILES.

are all my emails taking up too much space?

anyhow bandwidth page has:

total: 0.414 GB
cycle estimates: 0.535 GB
included: 48 GB

on the DISK USAGE (which is in a different page than bandwidth i’m gettin)

Totals:
provided: 1600.000 MB
24 day avg: 178.460 MB
current: 155.828 MB
est average:173.350 MB

seems like I shouldnt have any trouble with that…if I knew what it was.

please help me.
thanks.

Eric Kinkead

Let’s take one question at a time:

[quote]I always thought Bandwidth was how much other people where allowed to acces from my site. There is a principle problem still of me not knowing the difference between Bandwidth and Disk Usage.
[/quote]
You’re correct. Bandwidth is about how many visits you get; Disk space is about how much data you store.

[quote]confusing especially for a basic user.
[/quote]
Ask any question in the forum, and fellow users will help you to become an advanced user :slight_smile:

[quote]BW THROTTLING ??
[/quote]
This means that you can set an upper limit of how much bandwidth your visitors use. That’s useful because if you have a very popular site, then your visitors will exceed the amount of bandwidth that is included in your plan, and any excess use of bandwidth will cost you extra money. If you don’t want to spend money on this, you can limit (“throttle”) the bandwidth use.

[quote]What is a good way to maximize my disk storage so I can expand my site with more fun movies and such.
[/quote]
You can keep your directories tidy, make sure you don’t have any files twice. You can download your e-mails (use POP3 mail) so they don’t take up space on the server (as they do if you use IMAP mail).

[quote]are all my emails taking up too much space?
[/quote]
Your mail is included in the “Disk space” measurement, but only if you keep it on the server (use IMAP mail). It’s not counted if you download it (use POP3 mail). Mails usually don’t take up a lot of space, but if people are e-mailing you the files for your site, then your mails can be bigger than normal.

If you’re trying to upload something that would exceed the limit, I’m not sure what happens. I think that you can upload a file, but after that you can’t upload any more until you clean out enough to fall below your disk space limit again. It could also be that there is a lower disk space limit assigned to the FTP user than for your web space in general - check the user account https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=users.users& and see the second number under “Disk Used” - that’s the limit for the user, and it may be lower than the total limit for your disk usage (https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=status.disk&).

Hope this helps – otherwise please post again.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebID /// Compare plans