Still need help - now with transferring mysql

Since my last post, I’ve made some improvements (I hope?). I’ve got everything uploaded and I’m finally seeing something other than the parent directory “Index /” page.

Now I’m seeing some mySQL errors. I’ve spent a lot of time on the wiki as well as in these forums trying to find the answer, and I did find an older post that I think outlined what my problem is…except, unfortunately, I’m not sure what the solution means.

[quote]If your current host uses cPanel,
You can create a home_dir back-up, Login to SSH and untar it to the directory the same name as your domain.
I don’t know anything about SSH,
So I download a full-backup
Use this to untar it.
Open homedir/public_html and upload the stuff to the directory with the same name as your domain (via FTP)[/quote]
I’ve gotten this far. Here’s where I run into the problems:

[quote]Create new database(s) in the web panel.
The previous MySQL databases and table information is in the mysql folder of the backup.
You can login to phpMyAdmin and run the queries.
Then you have to edit the config files of the scripts to match the new MySQL information.[/quote]
Yikes, this is definitely above my current ability. I’ve familiarized myself with DH’s web panel so I know where I need to go to make the new databases, but do I need to name them the same thing my previous ones were named in order to connect to the table information that was uploaded with my backup files? Help help help!

If anyone were kind enough to put up with my idiocy, I do have AIM and gmail chat. Or if anyone can point me to a wiki article with some more step-by-step type explanations?

Thanks-

No, the databases don’t require the same name, you can change the database and structure that your J! uses by editing the relevant lines contained in the configuration.php file located in your J! directory.

This is taken from a test One-Click Install of J! 1.5:

<?php class JConfig { ... var $log_path = '/home/.mount/user/[domain.com/path]/logs'; var $tmp_path = '/home/.mount/user/[domain.com/path]/tmp'; ... var $dbtype = 'mysql'; var $host = 'database_address'; var $user = 'database_username'; var $db = 'database_name'; var $dbprefix = 'prefix, eg. j15_'; ... var $sendmail = '/usr/sbin/sendmail'; ... var $password = 'database_password'; ... } ?>
rl is the J! Guru around here. He might have a simpler way of migrating J! and will hopefully shed some vastly more experienced light on the process next time he drops by.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH