Still can't see my syte, any ideas?

After almost a week, the situation is still the same: I can’t see my site in the browser (blank screen timeout), can’t ping it, tracert (both to the domain name and to the IP) gets lost in the way. However, I can connect to the mailbox and connect via FTP.

I’ve asked in the forum, and other people can ping it and trace to it ok, but not see it. Others can ping, trace and see it.

So, the server is running ok, my ISP tells me they can’t find any problem with the network, everything seems to be working but the problem persists, and I am at a loss. I had never found such a situation before.

I do not know, but this must be fixed and I have no idea how to go about it. Any help welcome.

Thank you for your attention.

Please post your site’s URL, so that we can check for ourselves. Can’t be much use of we don’t know where to look, can we?

Edit: I just looked up all your previous posts in other threads, and I figured out that your site must be, correct? If that is true, then I can see it just fine.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

yes, it’s, I obviously forgot to explain it, sorry.

So you can see it. Others also can, others not. I can’t. And it seems it’s the only website I cannot reach. Have you found this situation before? Is there anything I can do about it?

Try completely clearing your browser’s cache and force the page to be loaded again.

Simon Jessey

I already did that, both in Firefox and IE, and it makes no difference. I’ve changed the DNS servers in my config, and nothing. I don’t think the problem is with my local machine, as I’ve tried with others.
Also, traces from different countries ( also fail.

I, on the other hand, cant’s see it. Whats in your public_html/.htaccess file?

have you tried just a simple, helloworld.htm and no .htaccess?

what machine are you on?

-Jason - Home Page
MP3Mystic - Personal Streaming Music server.
(No longer hosted with Dreamhost)

I’ve done a tracert. Here are results from my area just south and east of Philadelphia. I’ve removed the first 2 hops because they give information only related to my router:

3 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms [] 4 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms [] 5 11 ms 9 ms 11 ms [] 6 13 ms 11 ms 14 ms 7 14 ms 14 ms 13 ms 8 13 ms 15 ms 15 ms [] 9 14 ms 14 ms 13 ms [] 10 12 ms 14 ms 14 ms 11 13 ms 14 ms 14 ms [] 12 12 ms 14 ms 13 ms [] 13 80 ms 113 ms 82 ms [] 14 93 ms 84 ms 209 ms [] 15 84 ms 83 ms 86 ms [] 16 82 ms 79 ms 79 ms []
Also, a WHOIS search is reporting a 206 response code.

Simon Jessey

i don’t see any public_html folder.

In the site root I have these folders: logs, maildir, Inside logs there is another, and inside there are the folders html and html.945227.

I’ve been looking around and can’t see no .htaccess file.

Now I’m on a Pentium Centrino with WinXP Pro, connected to DSL through a LAN, running Firefox.

If I can see your site, then there is nothing wrong with where you are putting it.

Simon Jessey

Sorry I ment folder… Not public_html (I was thinking my other host)…

Ok… put a helloworld.htm file in your folder.

with just

hello world

FTP programs won’t see the .htaccess file, you will need to use telnet, or the file manager. and delete or rename it.

-Jason - Home Page

Just a note that public_html is a folder I’ve seen on Cpanel type sites.
It is a very strange problem. I guess you’ve submitted tickets? Maybe it’s DHs firewalls that are denying access from certain IPs or countries? I’m in the UK and can access your site.

EDIT: hehe. same time, beat me to it.
Smart FTP sees htaccess files. I thought most would?

I dont think thats it, Im in the USoA, and can access other dreamhost sites fine… his just times out… Im betting it .htacces, a messed up index.htm for a fubared DNS.

-Jason - Home Page

thanks for the trouble. Other traces, however, get lost. I’ve been trying to trace the domain or IP from different machines in India, Germany, etc. from and about half of them time out.

Surely if it was a network problem this wide it would have been fixed by now?

Thanks everybody, later I’ll try to do as Jason says, now I?ve got to go…

What has support said? submit a site outtage ticket, with the details of what you have done, and if your lucky within 24 hrs a tech will reply. (and hopefully he’ll read the ticket, and give you an infomred reply).

-Jason - Home Page

The only thing it could be, if some can see it and others cannot, is a problem with the DNS system. It may be possible to narrow it down to certain gateways or routers, but I’m not sure how it could be fixed.

A drastic measure would be to point the domain at different nameservers, let it propagate, and then point it back to the DreamHost nameservers. Of course, that would all take several days.

Jordi, make sure you submit a support ticket, and refer to this thread of the forum if you feel it will be helpful.

Simon Jessey

support has answered promptly and professionally, but they don’t see anything wrong with the server nor the site and don’t have any ideas .

Simon: I don’t know about the DNS, because if I use the IP instead of the domain name it still happens the same thing. Anyway, I will try Jason’s suggestions, and if it keeps giving this trouble I may do what you suggest with the DNS.

LOL. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve heard, “It works for me. It must be a problem at your end.”

Simon Jessey

Jordi, I just sent you a pvt about DNS/domain testing.

-Jason - Home Page

What machine is it on? (and will someone else on the same machine post their url so jordi can test it).

And here is my Tracert:
Tracing route to []
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms
2 31 ms 16 ms 15 ms [144.232.150.
3 17 ms 15 ms 15 ms []
4 19 ms 19 ms 17 ms []

5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.

Note: I tested it with Lynx fromdreamhost and it works.
-Jason - Home Page

the machine is
I’ve tried to connect to other IPs in the same range (64.111.102 … - mine is and all of them are ok.

Btw, if I just delete this domain from the control panel and then add it again, could I make a terrible mess?