Starting Out

Hello, I’m working on this website for the first time. I’ve got a page i’ve uploaded to my main folder. I’ve purchased a Domain name and started the hosting with Dreamhost. It’s been a week and i’m still not seeing my website page that i’ve uploaded. I keep getting:

"Safari can’t open the page “http://www.privatelabel.com/” because it can’t find the server “www.privatelabel.com”."
or
"Server not found
Firefox can’t find the server at www.privatelabel.com.

• Check the address for typing errors such as
    ww.example.com instead of
    www.example.com
  • If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
  • If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Any Suggestions? I’m new to this.

You need to login to the control panel of your domain registrar and point your DNS record to the DreamHost nameservers. Your WHOIS record indicates you haven’t done this.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

That domain was leased in 1996 or something is bad wrong.

I thought i did.
Would you mind posting how to do that?

I don’t know anything about the control panel of your domain registrar, but the nameservers are listed on this page of the DreamHost Wiki.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

i know what i need to point it to, i’m just not sure how to change it.

Because the domain name was created when i bought my package with Dreamhost. So Dreamhost should be where it’s registered right?

It looks registered at network solutions. If that wasn’t you, then dreamhost should not let you register it.

When i signed up and checked the availability, it said it was free and it let me continue. I’m going to go through all my emails and see if anything came back as a negative or wrong that would indicate anything about it being owned by anyone else. I’ve continually checked that name to see if it was pre-owned and it never was. Hmmm

Be sure and double-check for a typo … that domain name should not have been available for registration, though you could, of course, add hosting for that name (though you wouldn’t be able to manage the nameservers, so there would really be no point in doing so.) :wink:

–rlparker

Thank you very much for all your help. I’ve had dreamhost delete that as my domain name and i’m starting over. I think this will be better the second time around hahaha
:slight_smile: