Starting out

i just signed up with dreamhost about 5 days ago, and i have not yet recieved and emails reguarding what ip to login to for the ftp and what server or domain names or anything that would be useful in allowing me to upload my files to the server. also i tried signing in to the squirrelmail to see if they sent them there, and it didnt recognize my username or password so im wondering if i have to set that up or anything. but i thought it was automatically done

any help would be appreciated

Love is not like anything, especially a f***ing knife!

<i just signed up with dreamhost about 5 days ago, and i have not yet recieved and emails reguarding what ip to login to for the ftp and what server or domain names or anything that would be useful in allowing me to upload my files to the server>

k, unless you purchased a dedicated server plan, you will not need an IP address (shared hosting doesn’t work that way) to upload your stuff. I suggest CuteFTP (http://www.download.com/3000-2160-10000625.html) but there are many others available that would be free.

<also i tried signing in to the squirrelmail to see if they sent them there, and it didnt recognize my username or password so im wondering if i have to set that up or anything. but i thought it was automatically done>

squirrelmail has had quite a few hiccoughs as of late, but you need to set things up in your web panel first : www.panel.dreamhost.com - youll need the username and password you created…

<Love is not like anything, especially a f***ing knife!>

find a happy place, find a happy place ;p

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

ok sounds great, but where do i tell my ftp client to connect to, its got to have some sort of address to connect to right?

i would assume your domain name…

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

If the domain name was added in the control panel. Was this done? Or did you purchase a domain name through DH?

~Chell

Personally I would put ina support ticket with site outage emergency status and ask what is going on. When you signed up you should have gotten several E-mails. first a confirmation, and then here’s some info, and then a everything is complete!

-Matttail

[quote]i just signed up with dreamhost about 5 days ago, and i have not yet
recieved and emails…

[/quote]

If you didn’t receive any emails, something is definitely amiss. I’d recommend contacting support directly, so that you get your Web ID and associated password (unless you have it already). Then, you can check your past history of emails sent to you here:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=support.his

Also, be sure that your contact information is set up correctly, here:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/id/index.cgi?tab=contact

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

ok just an update, i got everything working, and the problem was found to be that my email account wasnt getting the messages that dreamhost sent, i did a test and sent an email to my msn account(which is what i had the original ones sent to) and then a “real” email account such as comcast and the email was recieved at comcast and not msn so i changed it over. so just some advice dont use free email accounts. funny though i did get emails to msn about my password being changed when i changed it. but that is it. oh well everything is working thanks for all the help.

sometimes these places have junk mail filters setup that automaitclly delete E-mails for your that it thinks are junk. This could be what happened.

-Matttail