Stand for Something Meaningful!

What’s your passion? What have you done this summer to help make this world a better place?

Tell us here!

I thought this was spam until I saw it was posted by a member of the DH staff…

My passion is to have a web site that works as I want it… this summer I ate and drank too much and failed in my passion.

What an unexpected question for this forum!

Personally, I have been spending quite a bit of time exploring the Red Project (https://github.com/friendica/red ) which aims at decentralizing many components fof the web.
Although I cannot say I have contributed anything to the project this summer, I have invested a little in setting up a server and exploring how it works. This fall I hope to contribute some time.

Well, I started working on patenting a life saving device, but found a thieving corrupt company whom took my money; and now I found out many others were taken and we are trying to make a stand and get together to fit back and hopefully get enough filed complaints to get a class action law suit. I study law and have practiced law; my passion; along with Harley riding this summer and I am on a quest of sorts. For the passion of rights for many people, to self patent a life saving device and ride to release the stress from it all!

https://discussion.dreamhost.com/forum-9.html

My passion is publishing a 100% ad-free magazine focused on showing regular gearheads around the world how our shared passion for motoring is common ground we can use to realize the potential in our differences.

Although I actually started publishing monthly issues - OMG, we’re a real magazine now - back in January, things have really started looking awesome over the summer. Very excited.

PS: Here in Phoenix, we don’t really have a summer. We have two seasons - Hot & Not-Hot. It’s been six months. I’m ready for Not-Hot.

This summer I accompanied my daughter as part of a team to India working with the Dalit (Untouchable) children living in slums. We assisted in schools set up to help educate and, in the end, help prevent human trafficking. We also taught basic health and hygiene to the kids and parents. It was an incredible experience. More information here: https://nottodaycoalition.org/

Simon, thanks for asking!

[quote=“Brett, post:1, topic:60471”]
What’s your passion? What have you done this summer to help make this world a better place? Tell us here! [/quote]

This summer I started volunteering at our County animal shelter, judged to be one of the 10 best in the nation. I simply try to make this a better world—one animal at a time. I do this by sharing my time and attention with them telling them each they are the best and that I am lucky to be with them that day. In fiscal year 2013, this shelter received 16,473 animals generated by the population in its county.

Of these animals, 14.3% were successfully adopted by new owners; another 9,232 or 56.2% were killed humanely. None of the animals asked to be sent to the shelter on their own, only their owners caused that to be the case. Only humans can have their pets-Spayed, Neutered or microchipped.

I stand for free fair elections and an informed, engaged electorate. This summer I continued to fight against Pennsylvania’s draconian Voter ID Law, wrote a Voters Guide to Philadelphia’s November 5, 2013, election and reached out to over 2,000 Philadelphia poll workers personally.

Dreamhost has been helping me for years by providing reliable hosting for web resources for transparency of election information and data in Pennsylvania. The latest, focused on my hometown of Philadelphia, is PATransparency.org.

A quick build back in 2008 is still in heavy use.

And my favorite, a collaboration with DHer Tim Wisniewski, is our scatterplot application.

At Trinity Hills we believe that ordinary individuals can make a real impact helping persons in need by using their extra rooms and resources to directly assist others. This summer we continued housing and working with homeless youth and producing food for the hungry on our land.

And we are very proud to be hosted by DreamHost!

You can learn more about our work and various programs at www.thills.org

I started up www.liberatedtech.org over the summer. We keep e-waste out of landfills and train volunteers with little to no computer skills how to refurb computers from donated equipment. Volunteers earn a computer. The extra computers are granted to nonprofits, schools and community groups. We are in SW Atlanta, which has one of the highest child poverty rates in the US. There is a huge need for what we do. We advocate FLOSS, raise environmental awareness and give people access to free tech training, support and resources.
We couldn’t do this with Linux operating systems and other FLOSS!

I stand for recognition that not all countries are in the Northern hemisphere >:\

But also I just finished up a fundraiser for a local breast cancer support group (who specifically help people with expenses, transport and so forth when they are dealing with treatment) for which I do all the graphic design and last-minute emergency printing. This year it was about twice as big as last, which was pretty amazing! Who knows what I’ll do with summer though, it still being a good few months away.

Will this change the world? Dunno yet. But I completed a sci fi novel this summer. So it changed me! I finally got one done! Since I started writing sci fi 25 years ago, I’ve written and published numerous “how to” books, but my fiction just stayed on the back burner. Finally this year I decided that if I was ever going to get it done in this lifetime, I’d better get my rear in gear. So far, a very short story plus a novella. So I’m jazzed!

So now I have to figure out how to sell these as ebooks on my Dreamhost/Wordpress site.

I’ve been providing free tech support and basic computer skills coaching to disabled people in my area, and putting together computers out of spare parts whenever I can find them for students in my kids’ schools who can’t afford them. Not part of an agency, just doing what I can to make sure the kids are on even footing in the 21st century.

What I’d like to do is somehow make enough money to start a business building Linux computers at really low prices, and hire homeless people here to put them together. And maybe write a killer game that’ll run on all platforms (including consoles) and keep it entirely open source.

Well, I started working on patenting a life saving device, but found a thieving corrupt company whom took my money; and now I found out many others were taken and we are trying to make a stand and get together to fit back and hopefully get enough filed complaints to get a class action law suit.

I teach.

Threads like this make me wish the forum had a “Like” button.