SSL Certificates in for OS X 10.5.x

I’m increasingly frustrated by the inability to get 3.1 in Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 to accept the DreamHost SSL certificate without throwing up a message every time I launch the program.

On launch, the message is “Mail can’t verify the identity of “”. The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “” which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the server anyway?”

If I click the “Show Certificate” button that appears in the message given above, then I can click the “Always trust” button. Then clicking the Connect button does indeed connect and the mail otherwise works as it should. However, on the next launch of, the same message appears.

I have tried the solutions offereed elsewhere in the various DreamHost nooks and crannies. These instructions

DO NOT WORK. I have modified the support wiki to say so. (The wiki is a below-average support device.)

I manually downloaded the DreamHost cert and made it appear in the Keychain Access app. In Keychain Access I have given the certificate “Always Trust” for all settings.

I have tried using The is another attempt to use a different host name to get it to work.

All of this to no avail.

Any ideas?

Set your inbound and outbound mail servers to:

This is what I use with SSL and get no complaints. I think I did set my certs to trust always, but I don’t see them in my keychain.