SSL Certificate apply to Custom DNS?

Hi all,

I did a search for this and didn’t come up with my situation, so thought I would ask in a separate thread.

I have just set up a home server (server.example.com) where “example.com” is registered with Dreamhost and “server.example.com” is a custom DNS pointing to my server.

I wanted SSL Certificate, so I purchased it for the hosted domain (including dedicated IP) from Dreamhost. It works fine, as the hosted domain is showing up well under https://, but how do I transfer that certificate to Lion OS X Server?

When working in the server software, it’s asking for a file containing the key. I tried copying what Dreamhost sent me into a plaintext file, but to no avail.

Any ideas? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Normal SSL certificates only apply to the exact domain they were purchased for, not to subdomains. The SSL certificate you have in this example is only good for example.com and www.example.com; it’s not valid for server.example.com.

You will need to purchase a separate certificate for server.example.com if you need SSL for it as well.

Thanks for quick reply. I was afraid of that.

Andrew, what about wildcards? Yes, much more expensive, but if you plan more than one subdomain. :slight_smile:

Wildcard SSL certificates do work, but we don’t currently carry them. (If you have your own, it’ll work; we just don’t sell them.) They also tend to be absurdly expensive, and often more complicated to get.