SSH Tunneling on Windows

HI,

I have a dreamhost account, and I’d like to set up an SSH tunnel through it to access the web securely.

Can anyone help me? Preferable these instructions would be for Windows XP using PuTTY.

Try Google and search for “putty ssh tunnel”. There are plenty of good examples there.

-Scott

Ok, I configure putty in the SSH -> Tunnels section with these options.

Source Port: 3306
Destination: localhost:3306

Then, I connect and login.

In firefox, I set the proxy to localhost:3306, but it doesn’t work, it says refusing connections

Port 3306 is used by the MySQL server.
You would need to use a higher unused port number.
Try a number greater than 7000.

Assuming of course it is permitted to tunnel through the web host you are using.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK! :@

Act on my advice at your own risk!

I tried a bunch over 7000. None of them work. I heard of people who got it working with Dreamhost, so I’m convinced there is something I am doing wrong. I keep getting “The proxy server is refusing connections.”

I don’t know if it helps any, but filezilla uses port 22 for ssh2 for sftp.
Silk

My website

Maybe you have not set up your browser correctly. In your browser check you have ticked the socks 5 box. If you want to persist then try adding your browser name into the google search box. e.g “ssh tunnel putty firefox” and the first result from thinkhole.org does it in pictures :slight_smile: .

When you say you want to connect to the web securely then of course you do that by entering https:// in the url instead of http://

If you mean that you want to mask your IP then say so. DreamHost is primarily a web-hosting service which happens to offer customers SSH active accounts, they probably would not be happy about customers tunneling all over the place like fevered moles. Maybe they are slowly turning this feature off across their servers.

Or, it may be your firewall and/or ISP preventing the tunnel connecting or you just messed things up.

I personally would not take the risk of doing something to upset DreamHost and risk losing your account. There are plenty of paid proxy services you can use and even a few free ones.

I suppose what I am saying is that whilst it may be technically possible to do it, it is probably not the practical thing to do no matter how honest the intentions may be.

Your choice. :slight_smile:

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK! :@

Act on my advice at your own risk!

awesome thanks, your link worked. guess it was configuration.

and I understand what you mean.