Ssh... slow?

i’m not really too familiar with speeds when i connect with ssh… but it seems every now and then i’ll get some serious locking up going on, and i have to wait about a minute or so before i’m able to type any commands and get a response

is this normal?

I wouldn’t consider this normal. I don’t play around in the Shell too often, but when I do I do not experience what you describe. It is not as slick as connecting to a local LAN system, but I find the response quite quick.

It is possible that some system between you and DreamHost is adding latency and causing the speed issues.

Does this happen all the time, or only sometimes?

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

well, i’m not slowed down when i’m actually editting files or anything… but for example, i just wrote and quit some random file and as i type i’m still waiting for it to say [hyperion]$

and it’s happening quite a bit just using ls and pwd… the whole reason i wanted to connect this way was so i can directly edit the files on the box instead of having to upload a file via ftp every time i make a minor change. but it’s turning out to be slower this way because of this latency

What is the load on your server when this slowness occurs? It could possibly be a server load issue, rather than a network latency issue.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

[quote]What is the load on your server when this slowness occurs? It could possibly be a server load issue, rather than a network latency issue.

[/quote]

I agree. Try “top” or “uptime” commands.

tor.eff.org

top:

top - 09:42:06 up 18 days, 23:02, 7 users, load average: 2.71, 3.91, 4.39
Tasks: 1045 total, 1 running, 1041 sleeping, 0 stopped, 3 zombie
Cpu(s): 41.0% user, 8.5% system, 0.0% nice, 50.5% idle
Mem: 4075184k total, 3927500k used, 147684k free, 19896k buffers
Swap: 6313512k total, 286260k used, 6027252k free, 2421892k cached

uptime:

09:48:25 up 18 days, 23:08, 7 users, load average: 6.61, 5.93, 5.15

not sure what this stuff implies :x

These load figures look a little high, but not high enough to be too concerned about. I doubt they are causing the SSH delays you describe.

Mark

any idea what else it could be?

Recent status reports list “filer” and “internal network” problems. I’ve also had some site downtime, ssh slowness and a disconnect today.

tor.eff.org

As I mentioned in a previous post, it could be a system between you and your DreamHost server adding latency (or dropping packets etc.).

Try doing a trace route to your DreamHost server and see if you can spot any obvious problems.

Mark