Ssh login confusion

Having looked about for help in existing threads, I am still not able to log in via ssh.
I use the format I found on the wiki… ssh username@your.domain.com;
I supply wrg@3rdmil.us… wrg is my account login 3rdmil.us my domain.
I supply the password I use to log in to panel, but it is not accepted.

What am I missing?

Any help gratefully received. thanks

It could be a couple of things. Are you being disconnected right after you see the Dreamhost banner? If so go to your DreamHost panel, select the Users tab, and select Manage Users. Then edit your user info. By default new users only have ftp access. You may need to enable telnet/ssh access for yourself.

If the password is being rejected try connecting just by typing “ssh domain.com” then it will ask you for your username and password. Also you might want to try your Dreamhost’s servername instead of your own domain (i.e., gloop.dreamhost.com). When you go to Manage Users you can see the name of the server you are on; it will be listed under “Machine”. If the machine name is pizza then pizza.dreamhost.com would be the server’s domain.

Edit: I forgot to mention one more thing. The password for your shell account is NOT the same as your Web ID. Your services (mail/ftp/shell) use a different password, so be sure to use that one (unless you set them to be one in the same).

Even though your DH account supports a secure socket, you can’t securely connect to your domain until you set up a secure certificate. These cost about $125 a year through an authorized certificate authority. You’d know if you had one, did you set up one already? You can verify by adding an “s” to the url, like: https://www.yourdomain.com

If nothing comes back you don’t have one. In that case, you can still connect with a shell through standard telnet.

BC Tech
Team Shocker

So you are saying that ssh can only be used with ssl and certificates? ‘man pages’ say nothing about certificates… only public keys, etc as established by sys admin.

I know I do not have any secure certificate. I’d notice the missing $125 for sure… :smiley:

alas! I am getting old! This is my 3rd attempt at responding. :blush:

I did allow ssh in ‘manage users’, so that should help. I assume that it may take a while for that to update in the servers. When I ‘ssh thirdmil@3rdmil.us’ (my user name in ‘manage users’), I get the ‘slauson’ banner from the server, and a message that says only ftp allowed. Will that change once the update takes effect?

Thanks for your quick response.

To log in via SSH, youre using a program like putty, right? Now, you tell putty (or whatever) to hook up to example.com at port 23. Then when promted for your user name you’ll connect with a user/pass that you’ve set up in the panel with shell acces. so you’ll type something like “joynny” (minus the quotes) You won’t be using the user/pass for logging into the panel.

When it asks for the pasword it will just be blank - even when you type. Instead of showing *** it will stay blank. Hopefully you’ll then be loged in. As said above, if you get immeadtly booted off, then your user doesn’t have shell access.

-Matttail

yes, you should be able to log in in somethign like 2 hours. And you can use ssh without cirtificate. The above poster was confused.

-Matttail

I just verified this with my own account, and it worked. I guess I was too impatient when trying to login after enabling ssh. My apologies, and thanks for the clarification, Matttail.

BC Tech
Team Shocker

See, just listen to me and you will be okay =p, hehe I’m glad everyone is setup and on track.

[i]Even though your DH account supports a secure socket, you can’t securely connect to your domain until you set up a secure certificate. These cost about $125 a year through an authorized certificate authority. You’d know if you had one, did you set up one already? You can verify by adding an “s” to the url, like: https://www.yourdomain.com

If nothing comes back you don’t have one. In that case, you can still connect with a shell through standard telnet.[/i]

You’re confusing SSH and SSL, which are entirely unrelated. All Dreamhost accounts support SSH; all you have to do it turn it on in the control panel. Telnet should never be used, period. It shouldn’t even be available, IMO.

SSL does require a certificate, but this has to do with securing HTTP connections (ie, HTTPS). It has nothing to do with SSH.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Yes, I am now aware that you are completely correct, kchrist. Thanks for the clarification, but it’s already been made clear that I was mistaken. It wasn’t my intention to misinform, I was just wrong in this case.

BC Tech
Team Shocker

Thanks, everyone.

I have successfully accessed my domain using ssh.