SSH & Database down. Support says no problems

My websites on go.dreamhost.com are not working properly. Dreamhost says it’s resolved because there really isn’t any problems. But really, they the problems still exist and they just haven’t seen it. How can I contact Dreamhost so that they understand what is wrong with the server?

SSH:
Cannot connect to SSH.

Database:
Cannot connect to databases hosted on KingKong server.

I tried sending two support messages:
1st message:
URGENT: King kong server down. Dreamhost replied saying no server-wide error.

1nd message:
URGENT: Cannot connect to SSH & Database. Dreamhost replied saying no server-wide error.

I cannot access my websites. You can try it yourself by visiting one of my websites:
http://freeonlineclasses.net

Yes, I certainly get a Database Error.

Is it running on a script like Joomla!, Fusion, etc? The first thing to check would be that the database is setup in the site’s config.

As for shell access, double-check the user has shell privs from within Panel.
You can browse the user in Panel and hit Apply just to reaffirm it will be setup with the correct privs.

I also get the “Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL” on your site (I cannot, of course, test the SSH)

[quote]I tried sending two support messages:
1st message:
URGENT: King kong server down. Dreamhost replied saying no server-wide error.

1nd message:
URGENT: Cannot connect to SSH & Database. Dreamhost replied saying no server-wide error.[/quote]
Those “replies” look like the results of the automated tests that are a PART of the “Contact Support” process. Were those the actual messages you received from tech support staff (via an email) or just the results of the tests that are run when you first start the “Contact Support” process?

Both the webserver and the MySQL server may very well be functioning while there remains a problem with your site. In such a case, those “replies” would be correct, as they problem is not “server wide”, and if you didn’t complete the support request screens, staff will not know of your problem! :open_mouth:

If you have not already done so, I suggest you complete the “Contact Support” multi-step form process to alert tech support to the fact that your site is malfunctioning even though the servers are not indicating a server-wide problems exists. When you have done that, staff will look into the problem and you should receive a reply from staff.

–rlparker

It’s running Joomla but this isn’t happening on that one site. It is happening to all my websites about 5-10 even if they are not Joomla.

rlparker:

I think they are just the results of the test that are run when I first start the Contact Support process. The replies were received in 15min and 30 min.

But the tickets are still opened, unreplied. Should I wait longer for them to reply to the tickets? I thought it would be an urgent issue because it seems like it would be affecting the entire server and all the users on it; not just me.

That makes sense; you should note that those are “automated” test responses that are designed to check for “server-wide” issues without human intervention, and should not be considered as being DreamHost responses or replies. If they had found a “server-wide” issue that impacted many users, that test would have triggered an alarm with the staff.

Yes, unfortunately that is exactly the position you are in if you completed the ticket generation process. You ticket will have gone into the queue and will be dealt with as soon as possible.

[quote]I thought it would be an urgent issue because it seems like it would be affecting the entire server and all the users on it; not just me.
[/quote]
That’s a reasonable assumption at some level, but that is precisely what those first-stage automated tests are designed to detect. The fact that they did not identify a server-wide outage, if that is to be trusted, indicates the problem is localized in such a fashion that it may well be just you.

Hang in there! I hope they can get your site’s fixed in short order.

–rlparker

Thanks rlparker! I’m glad you’re around to help.

I’ll wait for them to reply and update this thread with any updates.

You are welcome, and I’d love to hear that they got your problem sorted out quickly. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

I too am having issues with my site hosted on go. I can SSH into the machine just fine, but I’m getting database errors on all of my sites. I haven’t changed anything DB-related in a while, so I think it is a problem on DH’s end.

Accessing the DB from phpMyAdmin is also not working. I’m getting:
#2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query

I suggest filing a support ticket on that right away! It may or may not be related to the OP’s issue (you may or may not be on the same MySQL server!), so I wouldn’t assume it is the same problem just yet. :wink:

–rlparker

I have filed a support ticket, just wanted to let the OP know that he may not be alone in his troubles :slight_smile:

Thanks for letting me know kodachrome22.

Have you noticed that in the MySQL usage status, when you click on detailed report, that the daily reporting stopped working since April 2, 2008?

Yes, I did notice that.

It’s also worth mentioning that my site is back up now so it looks like they fixed whatever problem there was.

This has been resolved. Turns out a user uploaded a huge media file and so many people were downloading it that it caused connection problems with the mysql.

Dreamhost replied with a message that sounded like it was written by a normal human being. I Like that. Unfortunately, I wish they could have responded faster for an “urgent everything is broken” ticket. They replied in about 10 hours.

Oh! oh! oh! Got a link? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, but you don’t want to go there.

-Scott

Oh noes! Please say you didn’t just do that! Here we go … :wink:

–rlparker

I’ve heard that pages like that exist on the Net, but I thought it was just talk!

Maximum Cash Discount on all plans during April with APRIL08