Ssh access

Hi,

I’ve setup an account for me to ssh to my webserver. I see the name of the server in my account status, but when I try to access it, the message says it doesn’t exist.

I try "myhost@dreamhost.com" - is that right? I’m using a “dreamhosters” domain, if that makes any difference…

TIA…

if i understand you correctly,

if you are trying to SSH to your webserver, the username and password should be the FTP username and password who is controlling the domain.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) with [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color] Save [color=#CC0000]$82[/color] get lifetime domain with [color=#CC0000]82CRAZY[/color] Sign Up NOW

Don’t forget that it takes about 20 minutes for the change to take effect. If this is what’s wrong, you’ll authenticate properly but your session will close immediately.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click Here

Hang on, what are you using as your hostname for ssh again?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click Here

I’m using the hostname that is listed for my webserver under the my account page. I am using a “dreamhosters” domain, so I add that to the name - so myhost@fullyqualifieddreamhosters.com

No.

Try…

ssh username@yourdomain.com

or

ssh username@servername.dreamhost.com

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

ok, that make sense. I’m using putty, and the prompt is assuming my username is equal to my hostname, which, obviously won’t work. I don’t see anywhere in putty to configure a username.

Anyone run into this?

You don’t put in your username in putty.

The address you fill in should just be your dreamhosters domain. So for instance: mousee.dreamhosters.com

Once you connect, the server will ask for your user/pass, which you can then enter :wink:

Right, but that’s just it - it assumes the username of the server - I don’t get asked for a username.

Got it! Need to embed the username in the host entry in putty.

Thanks! (I can use this in work now too!)

As Mousee said, in PuTTY just specify the name of the server (or your own domain name), then the first thing you will see after connection is the ‘Login as:’ prompt, enter your username here.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

In PuTTY, you can put username@yourhost.dreamhosters.com as the servername, but strictly speaking, you should use yourhost.dreamhosters.com as your hostname and enter your username in the “Auto-login username” field of the Connection>>Data section of the configuration.

Why not just use domainname.com? It will ALWAYS point to the machine hosting that domain.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

The original poster has a dreamhosters site, not a primary domain site. It could very well be that all dreamhosters subdomains are hosted on the same server, but that may not necessarily be true, right?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I believe dreamhosters.com sub-domains are hosted on whatever machine the controlling user resides on, the same as full domains.

I agree though that specifying the dreamhosters.com sub-domain is a better idea than specifying the actual dreamhost.com hostname where it is hosted, as this latter hostname may change if the user is moved to a new server in the future.

Mark