SquirrelMail?

I’m wondering if anyone has heard of SquirrelMail being installed here at DreamHost? I got something really strange within one of my domains: alien materials viewable on the Web but not accessible via FTP.

I don’t know how that got there, but I do know where the ‘squirrelmail’ comes from. I’ll look into this and see what’s going on…

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Okay, a little more detail. :>

This is the side effect of a new feature we’re rolling out - web mail for DreamHost customers (sssh! We haven’t announced it yet!).

If it’s causing problems for you, let me know the domain(s) and NDN ID(s) affected and I can get it turned off (in theory you shouldn’t be seeing anything yet, but…).

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Jeff, thanks for the prompt reply (and action). I was in the middle of writing this when I saw your second post.

I’ve sent a support request via the Web Admin Panel. Username same.

Oh, I got it. You guys are using the subdir of /webmail which I (used to) use for my outsourced Web Mail service with Everyone.net. I’ve recently changed that to /mail for some domains (while disabling others). Currently, I am not using any, but some search engines still listed that. And guess what, I discovered your “secret” project by clicking on an external link back. (I’ve written a redirect command in the .htacces file, thinking that it will go through.)

Anyway, I just want to make sure that it is NOT a security threat. You don’t have to do anything; although I would really appreciate that we are advised just a little bit in advance :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot.

Anyway, I just want to make sure that it is NOT a security threat. You don’t have to do anything; although I would really appreciate that we are advised just a little bit in advance :slight_smile:

Totally understandable. It wasn’t supposed to go ‘out’. I promise to smack the developer responsible around with a wet noodle.

Anyhow, sorry again for the inconvenience. If you need us to turn off that alias, I can do so - just let me know.

• Jeff @ DreamHost

"This is the side effect of a new feature we’re rolling out - web mail for DreamHost customers (sssh! We haven’t announced it yet!). "

I’ve been waiting for webmail. Any time table on when it will be coming out?

not really, but (ssshhh) if you contact support you can probably get the webmail we’re currently testing setup on your account. no promises as to how long it will continue working that way, but it does seem to work pretty well from what i’ve seen so far.

Yup. This is definitely ‘officially’ unsupported right now, but you can contact support for more information.

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Quite cool. I’m really looking forward to this feature.

Jim

jim losby | jim@ivory-tower.org | http://ivory-tower.org/

I’m already enjoying this feature =)

i’m surprised; it actually works pretty fast as well (since it’s IMAP and php) we’re mainly working out details of how people should login, how to get ssl working correctly (ie if we do webmail.yourdomain.com, we can’t obviously buy an ssl cert for each one of your sites, but if webmail.yourdomain.com redirects to webmail.dreamhost.com we could have a cert for that).

we also need to see how scalable squirrelmail proves to be - and how popular the webmail service will be. obviously if people come to depend on the service, and it becomes so popular that the server(s) are way overloaded, then we’ll need to either try a different system or use more machines.

if you’d like to give input as to what features are most important to you, this would be helpful (ie speed, security, convenience, reliability). of course we’d like to have all of the above and then some… however in reality, compromises must be made.

What is squirrel mail? A product? Have you looked at GMail at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/products/

Wil

squirrelmail is an open source PHP based IMAP webmail client. i think the site is ‘http://squirrelmail.sourceforge.net

we’ve also used neomail some, but i don’t think we’ve looked at the one you’re mentioning. i’ll take a look though.

Ah right. GTMail is not open-source, not by a long shot. I think the liscence for that you’re trying to do would set you back a few hundred dollars maybe even running into thousands.

I guess I’m just not the biggest fan of PHP :-\

Wil

well it’s not so much a matter of money, but we do need to be able to make modifications in order to create a system that works for all users of our system. PHP solutions are faster than perl solutions i’ve seen; we have also looked at some java solutions i think (something i’m not really a fan of from past experience).

i don’t have much experience one way or another with PHP, but squirrelmail seems to work pretty darn well, and it’s quick. i’m not going to give up mutt anytime soon, mind you.

Hmm. I’ll have to look into this. Sounds good. I can’t imagine a PHP solution being faster or better than Perl but I’ll take your word for it just this once.

So far I love squirrel mail. I’m not sure what difference it would make to have it at mail.domain.com, but it works great.

Please don’t go to neomail. It’s awful.

Hi, Will…

As for SSL… Have you considered allowing a page at http://webmail.userdomain.com to frame a page at http://webmail.dreamhost.com?

It would allow the URL to appear the same, but the secure framed page wouldn’t show up as secure in the browser chrome. Naturally, there’s also the fact that there are a few folks who still don’t do frames…

I’d be interested in hearing other pros and cons of doing that, since I’ve thought about trying it for a shopping cart.

Thanks…

…Bob W.