Squirrelmail Rant

Ok, while I love the utilitarian functionality of Squirrelmail it is just so darn ugly. Why can’t we have a webmail app that has a decent UI? I know they’re out there…where are hiding?

Maybe even DH could write up their own. I mean it can’t possibly design something uglier than Squirrelmail…well Horde did so I take that back :-\

bryan | website

At first I thought squirrelmail was utilitarian, but functional web mail component. Over the past few months, it has proven to be very flakey (maybe just in this configuration) and very ugly. Why has dreamhost not even prettied it up with their logo or something? It really looks unprofessional asking clients to log into “squirrelmail”.

Over the time I’ve been using webmail, the flakiness has been pretty obvious. From missing mail to errors pointing to other users’ mail data files to the latest “ERROR : Connection dropped by imap-server”

PLEASE replace squirrelmail with something MORE STABLE! I can deal with ugly, but it HAS to be useable!

That’s my rant.

Thank you.

-Pete McDonnell

Not sure if you know, but you can change the image and login screens through mail > webmail in the panel.

The junkmail alerts will have a link to the generic webmail.dreamhost.com page though.

[quote]Why has dreamhost not even prettied it up with their logo
or something?

[/quote]

I don’t know about the rest of it, but if I recall correctly, DH used to have their logo on the squirrelmail login page, but took it off and offered customization options because resellers preferred to be able to put their own logo on there.

Ok, I didn’t realize it could be customized - what about the stability though? Anyone else experiencing this?

Please advise…

-Pete

I’ve seen a fair number of posts about stability issues, but I haven’t experienced it personally. But I generally only use webmail to empty my spam folder or to view messages that are larger than the size limit I have set in my regular mail client (on dialup here so I avoid automatically downloading huge messages), so it’s possible I’m just not be using it enough to see the issues that other folks are seeing…

as of right now… I’m trying to get logged in:

ERROR : Connection dropped by imap-server.

ARGHHHHHH

I can’t use an IMAP client on my work machine, so I have to use webmail.

-pete

I’m always amazed at how unusable the vast majority of the SquirrelMail themes are (at the very least they should understand that picking a dark background means you have to use a light-colored font!).

Anyway, I hardly use SquirrelMail, but you can make it more palatable by changing your settings to use Sans-10 (or Verdana-10) as the custom font stylesheet, and “Methodical” as the theme.

Plus (as others have mentioned) you can change the logo on the login screen.

Yeah I’ve done some tweaking. I guess I’m just hoping to eventually get a client that doesn’t look like some remnant left over from the early 90’s :wink:

bryan | website

[quote]Why has dreamhost not even prettied it up with their logo or something?

[/quote]

I think the answer is your:

[quote]Over the time I’ve been using webmail, the flakiness has been pretty obvious.

[/quote]

If it was branded “DH”, Support would find it less easy to brush off failure reports with “Sorry, we didn’t write it.”

[quote]PLEASE replace squirrelmail with something MORE STABLE! I can deal with
ugly, but it HAS to be useable!

[/quote]

DH: “The ordinary Joe uses Webmail and is happy with our current setup.”

Hmm…