Squirrelmail plug-ins

apps

Hi there - is there an easy way to add plug-ins to my webmail?

Thanks

Well, “easy” is a relative term - some things one person might find to be “easy” my be very difficult for another person. :wink:

To install plug-ins for SquirrelMail, you will need to make your own custom SquirrelMail installation (see this DH Wiki Article for more info); you can’t add plug-ins to the default “DH -provided” SquirrelMail installation.

–rlparker

Hi thanks for that link - that’s great. i’ve got up to installing it and modified the config file accordingly. The Log-in screen loads successfully, But when I try and log in I get this error:

Error opening …/data/default_pref
Could not create initial preference file!
/var/local/squirrelmail/data/ should be writable by user *******
Please contact your system administrator and report this error.

Any ideas?

That error message is telling you that the program is trying to find (and use) your preferences file (default_pref), but couldn’t find it, and then couldn’t create it in the directory “/var/local/squirrelmail/data/”.

Which makes sense, as “/var/local” is owned by root, and your user cannot write to it.

I suggest double/triple checking your configuration file to locate where the path for the default_pref file is defined, and make sure that you set it to a directory your user owns (preferably, one outside your web accessible directory(ies)).

–rlparker

I changed this line and it works

$data_dir = ‘/var/local/squirrelmail/data/’;

Thanks for all your help!

You are most welcome, and I’m glad you got it working! So now share with all of us, “What is your favorite new SquirrelMail plugin?” :wink:

–rlparker

hello again - I’ve put my own install of suirrelmail up and running and a subdomain (it’s slightly slower) and I can’t figure out how to install the plug-ins from my browser… also there are less features, IE: the calendar is missing…

These instructions don’t seem to be relative:

http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-7.html#ss7.1

Shouldn’t you be using your FTP/SFTP client to install the plugins onto your server?

I think you have to configure that plug-in as it is available in the default SquirrelMail install, but not “enabled” (installed). You have to set that in the the configuration script, by executing;

cd /[path to SquirrelMail]/
config/conf.pl

in the shell.

[quote]These instructions don’t seem to be relative:

http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-7.html#ss7.1[/quote]
I’m sorry, I don’t know what you mean by “don’t seem to be relative” - they look fine to me. :open_mouth:

–rlparker

I have an FTP client which I’ve uploaded plug-ins into the ‘plugins’ folder

I know a little php but I’m not sure what executing scripts in the shell means? I’ve never done anything like that before. I’m Showing my lack of knowledge

is it hard?

I don’t think you will find it too terribly difficult; you just need to read up a bit.

You can start with http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Shell. Make sure you read the links in that page as well as the page itself; they will lead you to “good and relevant stuff”. :wink:

Then, you should probably check out a few of the beginning Linux tutorials (DreamHost runs Debian Linux) that are all over the web (Google will get you set right up), so that you learn how to “run” files, and other “general” stuff.

When you find something in instructions that you don’t understand, Google it and read till you do. For installing SquirrelMail plug-ins, it shouldn’t take much research.

You can always come back here for help if you have a specific question, but doing a little “basic training” will go a lot further than just getting technical answers here that you might not understand, and the skills you pick up will be useful in the future. :wink:

–rlparker

Ok thanks I’ll read up on it. It’s probably something I should learn anyway