Splitting accounts

I’m a freelance web content manager and have a client who currently has his website hosted through an employee’s personal DreamHost account.

He wants to split his website and everything that goes with it (hosting, domain, email, databases) off into his own account.

The employee has given me full admin privileges to his personal account, but I’m struggling to find a way to split the account without downloading my client’s information to a local machine and then re-uploading it to a new account.

Since we’re staying within DreamHost, I was hoping there would be an easy way to separate designated information from the original account to another without messing around with downloading and uploading content to a local machine.

I don’t mind downloading and uploading the website and its associated database, but they have some decent sized email accounts that I prefer not to do this with.

The bottom line is that I want to create a new web and email hosting account for my client with as little downtime as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You’ll definitely need Support’s help. First off, you can’t move hosting over to an account that was created with a promo code. This prevents discount hopping.

I think they’re also able to migrate a domain over to a different owner’s hosting plan.

-Scott