SPF Record & abuse@domain.com

I did a DNS report on my hosted domain with DH and was pleased to see it passed pretty much everything. There are a few ‘info’ warnings however so thought I would post here to see if I can get more info…

1 - Your domain does not have an SPF record. This means that spammers can easily send out E-mail that looks like it came from your domain, which can make your domain look bad (if the recipient thinks you really sent it), and can cost you money (when people complain to you, rather than the spammer). You may want to add an SPF record ASAP, as 01 Oct 2004 was the target date for domains to have SPF records in place (Hotmail, for example, started checking SPF records on 01 Oct 2004).

2 - WARNING: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail to abuse@domain.com. Mailservers are expected by RFC2142 to accept mail to abuse.

DreamHost tried SPF, but it was flawed. I believe they’ll try this again.

Not having abuse@domain.com (or postmaster@domain.com) hasn’t hurt anybody from what I’ve been reading in past discussions.

-Scott

These days I just create abuse@ and postmaster@ addresses for all my domains and forward them to a central mailbox. It probably doesn’t achieve a lot, but it only takes a few minutes and removes two warnings from DNS reports :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

More info here: DreamHost tests SPF (Sender Policy Framework)

[color=#000000]DreamHost Promo Code[/color]: [color=#CC0000]Save $50[/color] with the promo code DREAMTEAM

I create abuse and postmaster aliases but set them to delete without bounce. I have never had anything important sent to the postmaster anyway other than the offer of a drug which will create an extraordinary long member!
But why anyone would want a 2 foot long nose is beyond me. It would just get in the way of my musical nose flute playing!

Norm