Speeds over the atlantic?

I’m considering changing from my current location to DreamHost due to some terrible speeds over the Atlantic with my current one. Is there any way to get a test-account to begin with to test the speeds before I sign up?

With my current provider I often time-out while waiting for my IMAP inbox to show up.

Geographically, where is your current host? And where are you geographically?

Unless you’re moving you or your host to the other side of the ocean, it’s unlikely that you’ll see improved latency just from changing from one host to another. We’ve found that the routing from your home computer (or wherever you access DreamHost from) is an overwhelming factor in overseas latency.

You can ping my dreamhost.com to get a rough idea. Or you can use my old server, monster.dreamhost.com.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

I’m hosted with Dreamhost, and I live in the UK. Downloads average about 60-100kb/s, so I’d call that pretty fast for me.

I’m located in Germany and right now my average ping is 153ms. My download speed range is from 30kb/s to 500kb/s, mostly around 100kb/s and 200kb/s. Hope this helps.

And yes, I’m also using IMAP, connected nearly 24h/day and I’ve never had a timeout.

Promo-Code: [color=#CC0000] SAVEMONEY97 [/color] - Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on your first year of hosting.

Could one of you give me a temp email account so that I can test connecting with IMAP?

check you private messages! :slight_smile:

Promo-Code: [color=#CC0000] SAVEMONEY97 [/color] - Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on your first year of hosting.

To be honost, 150ms is about the best you will ever see to Germany. One of DreamHost’s biggest providers is global crossing which has good connectivity to europe. I would suggest testing your speed here:

http://www.dhspeedtest.com

This is hosted on a shared server so it should give you an idea of the speed to DH’s servers. Also unless you have a tuned RWIN (higher than the 64k default of most OS’s) you aren’t going to see good speed no matter who you have if latency is over 150ms.

I’m from the UK and my sites loaded up like snails on dreamost, mainly PHP/SQL pages moved them to a data center in the UK and speeds have increased alot.

From Belgium I get a constant download speed of around 430 kb/s and an upload speed of 30 - 40 kb/s.

Do you mean KB/s? And how does this compar to your access to the benchmarking sites?

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

KiloBytes per second. On the benchmarking site I get 3300 KiloBITS per second. So, as I see it, I get 100% of my connection, at least for download.