SpamCop rejects DreamHost?

I’ve tried sending an email to Chris.Peat@heavens-above.com three times in the past week, but every time it gets bounced back to me. The error is, “553 sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list” which appears to be a SpamCop message.

Wha…? Has DreamHost been flagged as a spammer?

Here’s the transcript:

The original message was received at Tue, 11 Oct 2005 01:29:58 -0400
from ladle.dreamhost.com [205.196.219.4]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
Chris.Peat@heavens-above.com
(reason: 553 sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list (#5.7.1))

----- Transcript of session follows -----
… while talking to inbound.inquent.netsol.com.:
DATA
<<< 553 sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list (#5.7.1)
550 5.1.1 Chris.Peat@heavens-above.com… User unknown
<<< 503 RCPT first (#5.5.1)
Reporting-MTA: dns; ns-mr1.netsolmail.com
Received-From-MTA: DNS; ladle.dreamhost.com
Arrival-Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 01:29:58 -0400

Final-Recipient: RFC822; Chris.Peat@heavens-above.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; inbound.inquent.netsol.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list (#5.7.1)
Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 01:29:59 -0400

Note that the message says the envelope sender was blocked, which probably means it wouldn’t matter what server the message came from. So I don’t think DH is being blocked here. (Since the message was generated by the destination server, it’s hard to know 100% how it decides to block messages.)

SpamCop itself does not block anything, so that error cannot have come from SpamCop. SpamCop only maintains a db that email servers can query; the server decides what to do if an IP is on the list. Also, a check of SenderBase http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchString=205.196.219.4 shows that the IP you mentioned is not in the SpamCop blacklist. (In fact, it isn’t in any blacklist.)

(Disclaimer: I work for IronPort Systems which owns SpamCop and runs the SenderBase site.)