SpamAssassin to all users (individual configs?)

Okay, I have SA 3.1.7 up and running without a problem on the default account. I understand how to enable SA for other users (users MUST be shell users, mail-only (m123456-style) users won’t work, right?)… I want to know how to allow custom configurations for other users.

I know that it’s possible to use MySQL for SA user prefs… is it possible to do that by individual user? If so, how does one set that up (from scratch, I don’t know how to enable mysql user prefs)? Also, where can I find a front-end to integrate with SquirrelMail (or any other webmail program I may choose to install)?

If that’s not something that anyone knows how to do, then is it possible for each user to have their own preferences… i.e. their own user_prefs (for white and black listing), and their own required_score?

Thanks for taking the time on this annoying multi-part message.

-Eric

Why not just have each user set up a user_prefs file inside their .spamassassin file? That’s what I do. No need to fool around with MySql.

Stoney…
Would that not require installing SA on each and every user’s home directory? I was planning to use the procmail config to reference a single install of SA on my main home dir.

-Eric

No it doesn’t. It still uses each user’s individual .spamassassin dir. That’s how I have my domain set up. Many users, one SA install in the main dir.

Stoneyb,

awesome.
Do you, by chance, use any additional SA rules that don’t come by default? I’ve been beysian training, and once I reach a few thousand trained spams (I’ll eventually train hams, too), I’ll turn on auto-training, but for now I need some stronger filters.

-E

Here’s what I use, stripped of comments and the white/black list. A fair amount gets through, but SpamSieve on my laptop (Apple Mail) gets rid of most of the rest.

required_hits 5

use_bayes 1
bayes_auto_learn 1

dns_available yes
use_razor2 0
use_dcc 1
use_pyzor 1

skip_rbl_checks 0

report_safe 0

ok_languages en
ok_locales en

score FORGED_YAHOO_RCVD 2.5

score ALL_TRUSTED 0

score ADVERT_CODE 10

score INVALID_DATE_TZ_ABSURD 2.0
score FROM_ENDS_IN_NUMS 2.0
score URIBL_AB_SURBL 0 5 0 4.5
score URIBL_OB_SURBL 0 5 0 4.5
score URIBL_PH_SURBL 0 5 0 4.5
score URIBL_SBL 0 5 0 4.5
score URIBL_SC_SURBL 0 5 0 5
score URIBL_WS_SURBL 0 5 0 4.5

Stoneyb,

Stupid question, but is that in your user_pres, or local.cf?

-e

That’s in .spamassassin/user_prefs on my personal shell account, not the one with SA installed.