SpamAssassin 2.63

I have tried 3 times to install SA using these instructions. These instructions have worked for an aquaintance of mine, but they will not work for me. I even gave my friend shell access so he could look around and he reported that everything was in the right place. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I might try to get SA working?

Peace,
Matt

cheapo.cc

How do you know it’s not working? What are the error messages? On what system are you trying to install this software?

A little more detail will allow us to help you better.

• wil

Thanks for your reply.
I am the original poster.
(I forgot to log-in.)

I am trying to install SA on Dreamhost. My server is Schnapps.

I don’t think it’s working because:
a) spam is not being moved to the spam folder
b) no SpamAssassin info appears in my mail headers.

If there is anything else I should tell you, please let me know!

cheapo.cc

Enable procmail logging and make sure messages are showing up in there, and that there aren’t any errors.

Also check the permissions on your .procmailrc and .forward.postfix files.

The permissions on both my .procmailrc and forward.posfix files are set to 644. Is that correct?

and these are the contents of .promailrc:

[code]# ~/.procmailrc for Dreamhost

Uses Maildir format mail directory.

Directory for storing procmail-related files

PMDIR=$HOME/procmail

Set to yes when debugging

VERBOSE=yes

Logging

LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log

Remove # when debugging; set to no if you want minimal logging

LOGABSTRACT=all

Message directory (Courier IMAP and mutt)

MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

Folder names for use in recipes should be of form ‘.Foo/’ for Maildir format

INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/spam.rc

Anything that hasn’t been filtered yet is delivered to your inbox by this

recipe. The ‘/’ at end of pathname indicates a Maildir format mailbox

:0
$HOME/Maildir/[/code]How’s that look?

cheapo.cc

and this the header of the most recent test e-mail I sent myself:[code]Return-Path: <matt @ example.com>
Delivered-To: [munged]@knife.dreamhost.com
Received: from mx.eastlink.ca (mx.eastlink.ca [24.222.0.20])
by knife.dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP
id 120BBE403A; Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:23:01 -0800 (PST)
Received: from PC4156 ([24.222.163.149])
by mx1.eastlink.ca (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix 1.12 (built Feb 13
2003)) with ESMTP id 0HSB002BDHNHTG@mx1.eastlink.ca; Fri,
30 Jan 2004 15:18:59 -0400 (AST)
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:20:44 -0400
Subject: test
To: [munged] @cheapo.cc
Cc: ‘Matt Jarsky’ <[munged] @cheapo.cc>
Message-id: 0HSB002BRHNNTG@mx1.eastlink.ca
Organization: Kassner Goodspeed Architects
MIME-version: 1.0
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510
Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
Thread-index: AcPnZiZ7tVdJveKUSBeYEyVSJsAE3A==

[/code]cheapo.cc

You didn’t answer my question, though (about the logfile). What are the permissions on .procmail/ (the directory), and does .procmail/log exist?

I assume that .procmail/spam.rc exists?

I would set the files to 0600, and directories to 0700, but the main thing is to make sure you don’t have any group writable directories… if ~/.procmail/ is 0775, for example, it won’t work. If the logfile doesn’t exist at all despite being mentioned in your .procmailrc, the problem is most likely related to permissions.

No, there’s no logfile in the procmail folder.
I will try the permissions you suggest.

cheapo.cc

See the period ‘.’ in front of ‘procmail’?
I don’t have that. (I do have spam.rc in my ‘procmail’ directory, however.)
The instructions over at webspiffy (see first post in thread), don’t have a period on the name of that directory either.
Should one be there?

Also as far as setting the permissions goes:
I am using cuteFTPpro. Setting permissions to 0600 results in ‘Group’ having read and write privileges. Is that correct? Or should it be ‘Owner’ having those privileges?

Thanks.

cheapo.cc

No - just a typo on my part (I usually use .procmail, but you can use procmail or anything else you want).

What about the permissions?
You are using four digit permissions, but CuteFTPpro only accepts the first three digits. Should I leave off the leading zeros?

cheapo.cc

It doesn’t matter - just omit the first digit (or do it from the command line)
0755 is the same as 755.

ps - I fixed it for you. Your permissions were reversed (you had 060 / 070 instead of 0600 / 0700).

It’s working now.

Thank-you wil.
I see that SA is now generating a log, but I still don’t see any SA information in the headers of incoming mail. My understanding was that some SA information would show up in the header.

Er, also, I just received a piece of lottery spam.

cheapo.cc

It showed up for me when I sent a test message.

X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.63 (2004-01-11) on spork.dreamhost.com
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=7.5 tests=none autolearn=ham version=2.63
X-Spam-Level:

hmmm…

I have e-mail notification turned on for this thread, so when you replied, I was notified by e-mail. Here is the header from that message:

Return-Path: <xxxxxx@monkichi.sd.dreamhost.com> Delivered-To: m5596279@knife.dreamhost.com Received: from monkichi.sd.dreamhost.com (monkichi.sd.dreamhost.com [66.33.206.15]) by knife.dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id BC53DE402A for <xxxxx@cheapo.xx>; Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:19:12 -0800 (PST) Received: by monkichi.sd.dreamhost.com (Postfix, from userid 999) id A7D3B9A263; Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:19:12 -0800 (PST) To: xxxxxxx@cheapo.xxx From: support@dreamhost.com X-Mailer: Mailer::1.0 (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/) Subject: Reply to your post Message-Id: <20040202201912.A7D3B9A263@monkichi.sd.dreamhost.com> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:19:12 -0800 (PST)
and here’s the bottom of the log file:procmail: Assigning "LOGABSTRACT=all" procmail: Assigning "MAILDIR=/home/cheapo/Maildir" procmail: Assigning "INCLUDERC=/home/cheapo/procmail/spam.rc" procmail: Executing "/home/cheapo/sausr/local/bin/spamassassin" procmail: [32531] Mon Feb 2 12:18:11 2004 procmail: No match on "^X-Spam-Status: Yes" procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/home/cheapo/Maildir/new/1075753091.32531_0.spork" procmail: Notified comsat: "cheapo@0:/home/cheapo/Maildir/new/1075753091.32531_0.spork" From root@schnapps.dreamhost.com Mon Feb 2 12:18:09 2004 Folder: /home/cheapo/Maildir/new/1075753091.32531_0.spork 1088 Let me say it one more time: Thanks for all the help wil.

cheapo.cc

BTW - I wouldn’t post these addresses unmunged to the forum - you’ll start getting spam to them.

Notice this?
Delivered-To: m5596279 at knife.dreamhost.com

This is sent to an address which goes to a mail-only user. I believe this is pointed out in the procmail section of the kbase, but you can’t setup procmail for mail-only users. You can only setup SA for a “real” user, so you need to forward this address the the user that SA was setup under.

Wow, this is getting complicated.

I have a bunch of addresses all set up as aliases of m5596279.

In the ‘Mailboxes’ panel of https://panel.dreamhost.com there is one mailbox that shows the total disk usage for my account. Is that the account I have to use?

I should set up my e-mail to check that account and set the others as aliases of the main account?

cheapo.cc

Well you’d have to use the mail user corresponding to an existing ftp / shell user in order to filter that user’s mail using SA, or to do other custom procmail filters beyond what you can do from our web panel / mailboxes.example.com.

You can add additional shell / ftp users if you need multiple users to have this functionality.

Physical users and email addresses are completely separate.

Will,
Thank-you very much for all your help.
I have created the necessary user account and reinstalled SpamAssassin. (And corrected the permissions again.) All is working as it should.

Peace,
Matt

cheapo.cc