Spam/Junk (many related questions)

Hi.

First, about the OLD SYSTEM, RAZOR

Ok, Support said I should get rid of Razor as it is not working as well as new junk/spam filter. These folders (Razor) still show up on my desktop email program and webmail. Do I delete them (and their contents by hand?

SETUP NEW

I set up the new Spam/Junk filters for my 3 domains (which are all aliased so that what one sees with one domain is the same as the others, and all users of an email address can use whichever domain).

PROCEDURE

Have to enter FULL ADDRESS as opposed to just the part before the @?
Ok. It worked for one user, me. But only if I use my email program id. Not what I use to login normally.

Example, on the web I am paul@arenson.org. At home I have to use the mailbox name for the email program, which is imcjapan@arenson.org. And THIS is what I have to use for the spam webmail it seems (though I remember when making mailboxes, we were told we only use that mailbox name for setting up email programs). This is a problem for my users (recently just one, but this will increase).

WHAT I HOPE FOR

a) Confirmation if the ABOVE is true.

b) If so, it seems my users (I donate space to my students) will have a bigger problem, because their mailbox names are these hard-to-remember numbers starting with m…

c) If so, I may have to turn off the spam filter because I don’t expect them to remember those names in addition to their normal email ones…When they sign up for email they get told they ONLY use those m… id numbers when they set up their home email programs. And some donot have home email programs. So they have to ask me now it seems…

ARCANE mailbox names: PROBLEMS WITH OTHER POP MAIL CHECKERS
d) related to that is, IF these arcane mailbox names are needed, can THAT system be changed? I often, when travelling, use OTHER web-based mail programs (like ilohamail.org’s demo) because, unlike SQUIRREL MAIL, they do Japanese extremely well (I am in Japan). THOSE systems will also not accept paul@domain.org. They require the dumb mailbox name. So it seems that DreamHosts choice of that system for mailbox/id creates a lot of problems…unless I am missing an easier way. So far, in tests with my student, she can use ilohamail.org with her arcane id number. But it is such a hassle. It seems that dreamhost will be more popular with Asian language users if it can either 1) get rid of Squirrel mail/make available Ilohamail also, OR 2) get rid of those arcane names so its users who DO need WEBMAIL in Japanese and probably Korean, etc. can check more easily at Ilohamail and other site sthat do 2-byte characters better.

SETUP

Last, maybe some other menu appears sooner or later, but it tells me I have NO preferences set. Of course not, I just joined. So I was dismayed to see ALL my messages in the JUNK list. But thank god my email program using IMAP can also see them. I want to set up these things, but the help files are incomplete here—>

When can I set them up and where??? I click on SPAM ASSASIN (and it says I can do it through the web panel if I haven’t signed up. But how do I do it if I HAVE signed up?

AND NOW A FURTHER PROBLEM HAS OCCURRED WHILE TRYING TO GET THIS LETTER JUST RIGHT OVER THE LAST 40 MINUTES. —>
If I log into my normal webmail account (well, I never use it unless I have to–I normally use the aforementioned Ilohamail.org OR my own email program…)…but If i do…I NOW CANNOT log in with paul
as I previously could. I have to use that web id. I thought this was ONLY
for the spam and junk filter version!

Also
IN
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/?area=2996

IT SAYS—>

The top section is for adding people to your White/Black lists.

ANY GUIDANCE ON THAT?

Below that are preferences for how long to leave messages in the Junk Mail folder, and how often to get reports about what’s in your Junk Mail folder.
SAME QUESTION?

At the bottom you can set the SpamAssasin scores at which a message should be tagged or quarantined in the Junk Mail folder. The defaults are to never tag the subject line (meaning add DHSPAM to the subject of a message), and to Quarantine into Junk Mail at a score of 4 or above.

—>MOST IMPORTANT ONE–WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
I assume that if an email address (or domain?) is not listed as ok, then SPAM ASSASIN USES THIS SCORE TO DECIDE HOW AGGRESSIVE TO BE?
But what is recommended or not, and what are the consequence of setting tyhis too low or too high?

How to Know If You Have Junk Mail

This claims that we can get an email, so in theory we do not have to log in all the time, or remember the webmail address for spam.

I hope this includes that address to click on

And, if my worries above are true, that my users will have to remember their arcane ids (because Dreamhost for some reason does not use their realnames like it does with the account holder -me- of the website, hopefully Dreamhsot spam notification to them will include that id so they don’t have to ask me what it is (many have no email program at home).

LAST

It took me a while to find those spam settings (still do not appear, though–just the menu telling me it will take some time) They are in OPTIONS, but as this interface is SQUIRREL, I thought that was there was the same as with the normal webmail. I was looking somepalce else. Ok, now that I have found it, I feel a little bit better. But please see the above questions. Hoepfully I am erring and can be steerd straight, or DH will have found something it want to improve, or I will just have to turn off Spam checking entirely and delete by hand (or look for another way).

Thanks!

paul

PS

I assume SPAM COP is not worth bothering with?

paul in japan

It seems when I took SUPPORT up on the idea of switching from RAZOR to the newer SPAM ASSASSIN, that I was a bit too gung ho.

I have the original domains x.org y.org and z.org (not the real ones, just in case my writing them will compromise security)

For the website, they arer identical.

I have two main users

paul (imcjapan)
wakana (and that arcane #id)

So in the past mail was set to paul@ x.org or paul@y.org or paul@z.org
and it was forwarded to imcjapan@x.org or imcjapan@y.org or imc@z.org.

Likewise mail to wakana@x/y/z.org was all sent to her mailbox (arcane #)

BUT TO USE THIS NEW Hi-FALUTIN SPAN FILTER I WAS TOLD WE HAD TO GET RID OF CATCH ALLS ( I ASSUME A CATCH ALL IS"anything@"

SOMEHOW., WHEN GETTING RID OF ALL THAT FORWADRING, I DIABLED ALL TOSE EMAIL ADDRESSES. AND YET I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESION IT WOULD STILL WORK…JUST THAT THE CATCH ALLS WOULD NOT WORK (you know, the “anything”.

So now I am at pains to remember what to do.

1. I have disabled all the spam and junk filtering.
  2. I have established these email addresses. Please, oh please tell me I am doing this right, because I think everyone who send to me–including SUPPORT–is getting no such person messages!!!

Thanks

Sorry to be panicked, but I didn’t think the spam filters would not work with a person who has 3 domains who wants mail to anyperson@any_of_them.org to get to that person.

AM I reconstructing right—>

ORIGINAL
mcjapan@x.org
"Paul Arenson" imcjapan
246 MB / 2560 MB (10%)*
Also forwards to: Nothing besides “imcjapan”.

AND NOW (HOPEFULLY THIS IS RIGHT)
paul@y.org
"Paul" m5805276
0 MB / 2560 MB (0%)
Also forwards to:imcjapan@tokyoprogressive.org

and

paul@z.org
"Paul" m5805276
0 MB / 2560 MB (0%
Also forwards to: imcjapan@tokyoprogressive.org

Similar with Wakana…

Oh, I hop e I hope this is what i need to do to get all mails sent to me at any of the 3 domains.

And, by the way…I hope this means my home email will start recognizing me again…

And, does this mean I cannot use the spam filter. Razor was pretty much useless. If the new one won’t work with me (fuller instructions should be written for people with multiple domains), any external options?

Thanks…

paul in japan