Some questions

what is their email policy… i want to host a forum so the members will be notified evry now and then about new posts and emailing all members about new updates etc which may go upto 10000 members… all the members are users… so all the email will goto users only…

1. the forum has a facility of uploading content and even one of my social networking site… where usr can customize their profile by ading music and video… so i dont want DH to suspend my account without informing me and myself taking action against such a file… i want DH to notify me so tht i can take appropriate action to delete the offending file… i just want to clarify these issues kindly help… you all members…

any bad experiences here please tell me about it…

any hidden charges…

what is their refund policy… full refund or after deducting some charges…

DreamHost has very strict rules regarding unsolicited email, but, since your emails will be sent to your forum members, that should not be a problem for you.

However, DreamHost also has an email limit of 100 recipients per hour, this could cause you problems with the number of members you mention.

One solution would be to use the ‘Announce List’ functionality offered by DreamHost to inform your users of updates etc. These lists are not subject to the 100 recipients per hour restriction.

DreamHost also has very strict rules regarding copyright infringement, but if you keep track of what your users are uploading and remove any suspect material quickly you should not have any problems.

I think DreamHost is likely to notify you of any copyright infringement and give you sufficient time to remove the offending item(s) before taking your site down, but it would be best to check with DreamHost themselves for the authoritative answer to this question.

I’ve found DreamHost to be very upfront about any costs. I have never had a charge from DreamHost that I wasn’t expecting.

The 97 day money back guarantee only applies if you pay by credit card. Also, the initial registration for your ‘free’ domain ($9.95) is non-refundable.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

The problem here is my members will be notified of each and every reply they get on their threads… so dont you think that would be a problem… 2. what is their announcement list and how much do they charge for it

If this results in more than 100 email recipients per hour, then yes, it could be a problem.

The announce lists are a way for you to send the same email to a large number of people automatically. They are configured via the DreamHost web admin panel and are included in all shared hosting plans, there is no extra charge to use these. More information can be found in the wiki article below;

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/KB_/Account_Control_Panel/Mail::_Announce_Lists

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Mark, I’m an user for some time, but I have so much work that I still didn’t managed to fully investigate what DH offers.

And… I didn’t knew about the Announcement List!

Thank you very much! Thumbs up!

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

[quote]The problem here is my members will be notified of each and every reply they get on their threads… so dont you think that would be a problem…

If this results in more than 100 email recipients per hour, then yes, it could be a problem.[/quote]
Doesn’t the forum system send it via script ? Or it uses SMTP?..
If if would be via the forum script, it’s also limited to 100 email recipients??..

Both direct SMTP and web server (eg: via a PHP script) email sending rates are limited, but these are apparently separate limits. See the post by Dallas in the thread below;

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_troubleshooting&Number=45793&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

The good news is that I was wrong about the limit, it appears to be 200 per hour (at least for web server generated mail).

Also, the limits can be adjusted on a per-user basis, but whether DreamHost would be willing to do so for any particular case is a question best asked of them directly.

Mark

For a forum in the size of up to 10 000 members I would recommend that you take a look at dedicated hosting. The speed your forum is accessed will be better and you will not run into the email problem.

not right now iam not very much into buying a virtual server because my budget does not permit… let see what does dreamhost reply regarding the email limit…

Maybe you could find a way to make the forum pay its own costs? this should be easy enough with a forum approaching 10k members, things like adsense, adbrite or cj can help.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)