Some questions

Hi,

I’ve got a question about the Level 3 Webhosting - “Code Monster”. After checking all the available options I’m still curious about 1 thing.

As stated in the options, I will receive full unix shell. Does this actually mean that I’ve got my own server that I can fully control ? For example, I’ve written this shell script, will I have enough access to make it an “official task” for the unix so it will automatically run after several hours ? Is it possible to compile and run my self written c programme…

So what I actually want to know … is this some kind of co-location ? If I want to upgrade php, I will be able to… If I want to upgrade MySQL, I will be able to that that too… Is it like this ?

Thanks
Ps : is there for any chance an official speed test ?

I use a lower level hosting than the one you’re asking about, but until others respond, these comments may help you along.
Full unix shell: You don’t get physically your own machine unless you specifically choose dedicated hosting. However, even on a shared host, you should be able to execute any script you put on your server (even on a schedule), and compile etc. As far as CPU consumption goes, Dreamhost are usually very open as long as your processes don’t significantly bother other users.
On a shared plan, I don’t think you can upgrade the installed software like PHP and MySQL (you’d need the dedicated plan for that), but I should think that Dreamhost is pretty much up to date anyway. Ask them for anything specific if you’re unsure or have further wishes.

TorbenGB

Ya, what TorbenGB said

your shell access is AS your user, so you have access within your user directory only

you can compile your own php in your space if you like, I’ve known a few people who’ve tried, actually one who succeeded even =D Dunno about MySQL

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

A few days ago, I compiled NewLISP (http://www.nuevatec.com/) from C on my hosted account. I can now use Lisp as my language of choice for CGI. Pretty cool!

The only thing they don’t allow are persistent processes. When you close the shell, your open programs go with it. (The CGI above is started and ended by Apache, so is not a persistent program.)