Social Network Software [SNS]

software development

If anyone has successfully installed any SNS recently, please share your experience with us, since some/many of DH users [and not only DH] - me, for instance - have problems installing particular software. To describe my experience with a particular piece, I’ll take PHPizabi because I had absolutely no problems installing it. This is the only SNS installation I had no trouble with at all. If anyone is experiencing any problems with it, please describe the problem, and we/me will be more than happy to help. If you have another piece of SNS industry, and have successfully installed it, please share your experience and give your opinion/advice on how to properly install that specific software on DH.
For example, right now I’m trying to install People Aggregator [PA], and so far it gave me several problems. First I couldn’t get passed the PEAR::DB error, but then I managed to solve it by putting this into the config.php:

set_include_path(’/usr/local/lib/php’);
Do not include this line: require_once(‘DB.php’);!
It’s not going to work if you do. It’ll give you a blank space after a few lines of confirmed coding.
After I got through, it gave all kinds of warnings in .php files in different lines. After several hours of coding and decoding everything, I couldn’t take it anymore and decided that I’ll either re-install the whole application, or will stick to PHPizabi’s Alicia [which hasn’t been published yet], or AroundME. However, I really like the PA’s design and idea, so I guess I’ll stick to that. But, with these errors, it’s going to take a long time before anything is working.

People Aggregator needs an “Apache virtual host”. Do you know how to setup one?

when you add a domain to host in the panel, this is effectively a apache virtual host - due to the shared environment. I’m not sure if it’s truly a virtual host or if DH is doing it an other way, but for your purposes it shouldn’t make a difference.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

So, would that domain be a www…com type of domain, or is it a subdomain like abc.def.com?

Here’s what is says in the installation doc:

[b]IF YOU ARE AN ADMINISTRATOR, AND YOU WANT TO MAKE A NEW WEBSITE:

Create an Apache virtual host which has the web subdirectory as its DocumentRoot. Make sure “AllowOverride All” is set.

e.g. (in the appropriate file under /etc/httpd):

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName example.org
ServerAlias *.example.org
DocumentRoot /var/www/pa/web
<Directory /var/www/pa/web>
AllowOverride All

[/b]