SMTP please help

Hi,

I am sitting on the edge of my chair.
I do not know why, but I can not get anything with SMTP to work, send emails.

I thought it was the third party software, so I tried another and another and another and …

Well either all programs/scripts are very very bad
or I am doing something very stupid everytime again
or … I don’t know.

I know the SMTP settings, I have Thunderbird setup no problems
mail.domain.com
username
password

With any other third party software, that needs to be installed online, like an ecards or newsletter scripts it will just NOT work.
I even tried using the gmail smtp but also no luck.

I know the header email needs to be from a domain registered, but if I fill in the SMTP in the third party scripts, I still can NOT send out emails which come from e.g. gmail as sender.
Well an ecard scripts has people wanting to send a card and use gmail, hotmail or which ever.

I also know the ONLY problem is the HEADER email, because if I install the script(s) on my other server (non-DH) ALL works with out a hitch, but then they just allow sendmail, I think it is called.

So HOW do I get all this to work on DH?
I have been with them for over 7 years, but this is starting to really frustrated me and for the firsttime in 7 years I am thinking of leaving, but rather not.

I always get the same error 1 or 3 times: SMTP error. Can not connect to SMTP Host
I know not a useful error.

I downloaded the latest phpMailer and as far as I can tell I made the correct changes also in there. Tried a dozen or more different settings.

Best, Ron