SMTP Limits

Hello,

Is it possible to limit the file size for email accounts?

I’m getting tired of user complaints that mail is down, because another dumb user sent everyone a 15mg video attachment.

[quote]Is it possible to limit the file size for email accounts?

I’m getting tired of user complaints that mail is down, because another dumb user sent everyone a 15mg video attachment.[/quote]
I agree that there should be a fairly strict limit to the filesize of email attachments - perhaps the same as the limit on PHP uploads. I think the rate limits should be lowered too.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

I agree with you on that, Simon. WHatever functionality is still to be found in email is diminished for all when users start slapping huge attachments into email, instead of using ftp, a link to a file, or even good old uucp to move huge amounts of data.

I sure hope this does not happen! Even a moderately popular site with a 50-100 regular visitors would exceed the present limits if those users elect to be notified by email of new posts, forum messages, ecommerce order confirmations, etc. - The present limit severly restricts many key functions of such sites. At least the way it is now you could petition DH for a higher limit. Lower limits would just compound the problem, and I’d like to see the limits raised.
–rlparker

E-commerce sites that need to send hundreds of emails per hour are probably not well-suited to a shared hosting environment.

As for forum message notifications - as far as I am concerned they can be filed under the “long list of things that forums do to upset the natural order of things” category.

I’m not sure I understand the term “rate”

I was thinking about total size PER transaction, adjustable by the account administrators.

A limit in number of transactions? I don’t have that need, but I could see the value in some instances.

I was specifically referring to the number of emails per hour, which is limited. This is an anti-spam measure (although it might perhaps be more accurately described as an anti-blacklisting measure).