I’m trying to figure out how to improve server response time with my membership site.
Some background info:
- new, low traffic site on DH’s shared hosting
- I have a child theme built off Base Station running the Zurb Foundation 4 framework
- I use two main plugins, MemberMouse and bbPress
- bbPress runs super slow
Here’s what I’ve tested so far:
- activated default 2014 theme, removed all plugins, decent loading time
- slow 5-7s load times with current theme, membership plugin activated (membermouse), and no bbPress
- REALLY slow 25-40s load times when bbPress activated
I’ve tried several caching plugins, but caching plugins don’t play nicely with either bbPress or MemberMouse. Caching the rest of the site is pointless because there’s hardly any content on the non-MemberMouse and non-bbPress pages. I’ve added Lite Cache which does its job, but again, bbPress is the issue here.
After running the site through tools.pingdom.com and google pagespeed, I deduced that I need to defer / minify my CSS and JS files (not doable, again, considering the two main plugins I’m using), and reduce my server response time.
Considering that everything breaks when I go the cache / defer js / minify everything route, I want to figure out how to reduce my server response time. (I should add that the delay happens when waiting for the server to respond. Once the server responds, page loads FAST. Tested using Safari’s web dev tools in browser)
I understand I’m on shared hosting, but 25-40s response times per page seems a bit ridiculous.
So, suggestions on how I can reduce my server response time?