Slow Responses & Internal Server Errors

wordpress

Hi all,

I installed wordpress recently to my domain and the installation has been working - but from the start I’ve found it to be very much slower and not as responsive as my other web applications have been in the past.

While adding some content to the site I experienced a handfull of internal server errors coupled with an error for not finding the document that handles that error…

The installation was done fully automomously on a clean domain and database.

I’d just like to know if this is specific to wordpress and it just being slow, or if there is a performance issue with the shared server?

I would change your PHP from 5.2 to 5.3 fast CGI, as well as turn on Page Speed Optimization.

Also I see you have wp-super-cache installed, but inactive. That will help you out as well :slight_smile:

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but will switching the PHP to 5.3 make anything break with my current site? Thanks

Ohh that’s much much better.

Thank you!!

barkins - Generally no, it won’t break anything. WordPress runs fine on 5.3, however the same cannot be said of all plugins. Personally, I’ve never had any issues moving to PHP 5.3 (and I strongly recommend you use it if you can).

With regard to PHP 5.3, reason I don’t add it to my sites on a dedicated server is that you still haven’t set up the latest Xcache with a reasonable set of options for it. When’s that going to happen?

Peace,
Gene

genesteinberg - You mean for the nginx setups? I don’t have an ETA on that, but I’m agitating for it too.

No, just regular Apache with PHP 5.3. I have had to use Xcache with PHP 5.2.x, unless that’s changed recently.

Peace,
Gene

You’re right, we also have issues with xcache and php 5.3. That too is something on the workbench for us. I’d like to drop PHP 5.2 all together, but obviously we have some work to do.

Why should this be an issue with Xcache? I’ve used the latest version with PHP 5.3 elsewhere without difficulty.

Peace,
Gene