Slow FTP?

I have just joined DH and am fairly happy so far, but I noticed that the FTP access seems to be exceptionally slow. Uploading a 14Mb file took something like 20-30 minutes. I know 14Mb is big, but not that big!

Is this unusual, or should i get usued to slow FTP here?

FWIW I get about the same here - on server “crack”. So, yes, I think it is something one just has to live with.

[quote]
FWIW I get about the same here - on server “crack”. So, yes, I think it is something one just has to live with.[/quote]
I am suffering from very slow FTP at the moment, but it is certainly not normal, or “something one just has to live with.” I’m sure it is a temporary problem. I am suffering from slow access to the mail server as well.

In fact, I’ve also noticed that I am suffering from a marked drop in overall web performance (unrelated to DreamHost), so it might be that certain areas of the backbone are having difficulties at the moment. This is no doubt compounding the problem.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

[quote]am suffering from very slow FTP at the moment, but it
is certainly not normal, or “something one just has to live with.”

[/quote]

I guess we can’t tell unless you tell us what the speed you’re getting actually is.

The speed I suggested we “havie to live with” is the OPs reported “14Mb file took something like 20-30” mins.

FTP is unbearably (sic) slow for me today also. between 50,000 and 70,000 bytes per second. Is that normal…no. I can usually count on at least 200,000 and above bytes per second. Could this be something other than dreamhost? ie, my connection, internet traffic being swamped? I imagine there are quite a few possibilities. I have to delete a bunch of files, and just gave up earlier…I will try again later and hope for the best.

It is getting worse. I’m now getting intermittent timeouts.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

In cases of network slowdowns you may want to try doing a network trace to see if the point of congestion is obvious. You can do that with the UNIX (including OS X) ‘traceroute’ command or ‘tracert’ in a DOS prompt. You put the host you want to trace after it like “traceroute www.example.com”.

It’s not a sure method of figuring out what’s going on, but it may provide useful information.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder