Slow drive writes?

It seems that anything that causes drive writes is slow…SVN checkouts, editing files in VIM and then saving them, etc. For instance, I was editing a web page (a fairly small one) and saving the file took 10-20 seconds. Can I improve this somehow?

I would suggest checking your upload speed as this may also cause the slow down.

However if it is not this and it is something related to the server the best thing would be to raise this with support as it seems to be affecting more than one service for you.

$97 DISCOUNT [color=#CC0000]DISCOM97[/color], Double bandwidth or disk [color=#CC0000]DISCOMX2BW[/color] or [color=#CC0000]DISCOMX2SPACE[/color] (worth $119.40 per year). More codes

1. Are you editing on the server or on your client machine?
  2. Have you checked out the load and cpu utilization when it’s been slow? High load and low cpu utilization points to an NFS bottleneck.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

I’m editing on the server, using vim over an SSH connection. Uptime gives the following results:

$ uptime
19:27:25 up 4 days, 2:42, 1 user, load average: 189.24, 85.24, 37.96

Running top shows only a few processes running for me, and none of them are using CPU, but top’s CPU usage summary hovers around:

Cpu(s): 31.2% user, 27.8% system, 0.0% nice, 41.0% idle

I’ve never checked out load numbers on one of my own Linux machines that’s been under a high load, but that load number seems pretty high.

Yeah, it looks to me like some NFS snafu. I take it you’ve submitted a ticket? Make sure to include the load and cpu utilization info. It will be helpful to support.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes