Slow database performance?

wordpress

I’m a new subscriber to DreamHost.

Everything becomes slower than molasses in the evenings; my WordPress admin page is taking almost THIRTY SECONDS to render.

It seems that the chief problem is the database server I’ve been assigned to (‘barkley’); my home page flattened out to plain HTML only takes 4-5 seconds to load compared to 20+ for WordPress to spit it out.

What gives? Is there anything that can be done, or have I just bought into hosting that’s easily 10x slower than where I just left?

Hi there!

I had noticed the same thing the past several days on my Drupal powered site. Don’t worry, you are not alone.

You probably just hit a very bad time in Dreamhost land; call it ironic (or just cruddy), but right now Dreamhost is having some serious performance issues with a large portion of their servers (one of the more serious outages Dreamhost has had in a long time) - most notably this post describes the problems:
http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2007/03/26/site-slowness/

Incidentally, if you want to see if Dreamhost is having any serious problems, you should always check status.dreamhost.com (or dreamhoststatus.com) first.

If your Web server is not one of the ones listed on their status entry, you would be best served opening a ticket through your panel on the contact section so they can investigate why.

You may also want to log in through your SSH shell and type the command ‘uptime’.

Uptime spits out three numbers known as your load average - if these numbers are over 1.00, it’s usually indicative of a problem. Mine, for instance, right now is over 40. That’s not so good. My server is listed as having serious problems, however - so I’m just waiting patiently :slight_smile:

I hope this helps!

It’s not about being right - it’s about having an idea.

[quote]

I’m a new subscriber to DreamHost.

Everything becomes slower than molasses in the evenings; my WordPress admin page is taking almost THIRTY SECONDS to render.

It seems that the chief problem is the database server I’ve been assigned to (‘barkley’); my home page flattened out to plain HTML only takes 4-5 seconds to load compared to 20+ for WordPress to spit it out.

What gives? Is there anything that can be done, or have I just bought into hosting that’s easily 10x slower than where I just left?[/quote]
I would definitely suggest that you contact support and ask for assistance. I have four sites with five databases, and performance is almost always exemplary.

It could be an issue with your database server, from what you’re saying.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast
http://www.theparacast.com
[b]My DreamHost Promo Plan—Use the code: [color=#CC0000]ROCKS[b][/color]

Thanks for the speedy replies, guys. Load over >1 isn’t necessarily indicative of a problem (especially as I think the web servers are all quad processors) – But that being said, top shows load as 50/40/34, which seems a bit high, as you suggested.

I’ll check the status site to see what hosts are listed as experiencing problems, then decide whether or not to submit a support request. Thanks again.

While I agree with almost everything in your excellent post, I want to point out that the “rule of thumb” for loads that says “over 1.00 is a problem” does not really apply to Multi-processor systems, and does not account for NFS and other quirks of DH.

I think a more accurate assessment, oh DH multi-processor servers, is that anything over 5.00 or so is likely to be indicative of a problem. :wink:

–rlparker

Well, it looks like the database server probably isn’t the problem: A quick query like this:

SELECT * FROM wp_posts WHERE post_content REGEXP 'it' LIMIT 999;… Returned 70 records (out of 80-some-odd) in 0.02 seconds – so it’s gotta be the web host, and it’s one that’s listed as having NFS problems. So I’ll sit tight. Thanks again.

Just as a follow-up for the potential benefit of others – My site is back running lickety split again. I checked the status site, and to no surprise at all, the NFS issues had been resolved including an upgraded server.

If you’re reading this but still having problems yourself: If it’s really recent, your issue is probably unrelated to mine. If it’s been a while since I posted this, do yourself a favour and check the status site if you haven’t already. :slight_smile: