Sloooooooooooow support

I’ve been a dreamhost customer for 7 months now… overall I’m happy with its features and performance, but response times from support have been a big issue since I signed up. I remember reading about Dreamhost working on this and hiring more support staff but in my personal experience nothing has improved. My tickets keep taking close to 24 hours to get an answer, sometimes longer, making support useless in most situations… it usually takes far less for problems to get fixed than it takes to get a simple response from support, even if its quick answers like “we’re working on it”, “we’ll look into the problem” or “we expect a solution in 2 hours”.

Well I’d like to know if I’m the only one experiencing this… what’s your experience with support? How long does it usually take you to get answers from them? Have you seen any improvements in their response times in the last few months?

In the past, my tickets have been answered literally in minutes. The longest one was when the filer problems were occurring, but it was still a same day answer.

Check out Gordaen’s Knowledge, the blog, and the MR2 page.

I’ve always gotten fairly quick support help, too, at least within an hour or maybe two. Except for today, which may be due to the power outage still causing problems. The support page says their “datacenter has experienced some power fluxuations” within the past 24 hours (as of this writing).

dreamhostsupport.com once again says “everything’s fine” and I’ve been without email for almost 24 hours now - rubbish.

A response from support is nowhere to be found and there’s 850+ support requests inthe queue. You think they don’t have enough staff to handle things if there’s any sort of problems?

I’ve got the same opinion. I’ve had a pretty good experience over the last year (a few temporary outages), but the past couple of weeks have been horrible.

I’ve also been without email for almost two days now. I sent a ticket in early this morning, but haven’t heard a peep.

This, of course, comes on the heels of almost four straight days of no service of any kind last week.

Something isn’t right at DH right now. I hope they can solve this and we can get back to business.

At least I know it isn’t just me re: the email situation. Actually makes it more tolerable believe it or not. I just wish they’d post something. The emergency status page has yet another “everything’s fine” now post. Several people are complaining about email, but nary an official peep.

Hey, do you know of a way to look at the support queue? How do you know there’s 850+ plus?

I suspect all of the lingering problems relate to the file server problem of last week. Some of Dreamhost’s central databases seem to be periodically unavailable thus causing various systems not to respond.

It’d be nice if Dreamhost were more up-front about these issues rather than saying everything is back up when it’s not.

A bit more info…

Something’s definitely amiss. The mail server disconnects you immediately after getting the password command. You can try it if you like…

Telnet to mail.yourdomain.com on port 110:

telnet mail.yourdomain.com 110

you’ll get something like this:

Connected to mail.yourdomain.com.
Escape character is ‘^]’.
+OK Hello there.

Then type:

USER

You’ll get: +OK Password required.

Type:

PASS

The mail server will then immediately close the connection.

Curiously enough I can read my email with Pine.

Curiously enough I can read my email with Pine.

I can read with Pine too, but since these recent problems cannot send (relaying denied). At least webmail works for me.

Also, I’m still getting 500 errors in this forum, and the wiki seems slower than before.

tor.eff.org

Hey, do you know of a way to look at the support queue? How do you know there’s 850 plus?

Panel->Support->Contact Support

Then scroll down and click the link that says:

“Still need to submit a support request?
Click here!”

You’ll see how many requests are in the queue.

It’s climbed to 908 open tickets now.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn’t noticed that line before. It’s gone up 4 more since you wrote. Guess I won’t expect an answer today…

ouch

I can’t help thinking that DreamHost could significantly reduce the support queue by ridding these forums of those damn ‘Internal Server Errors’.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Support queue is up to 933 open tickets now. They closed the system wide issues that I had opened 20 hours ago without fixing the problem - mail is still not reachable via POP or webmail.

dreamhoststatus.com still says everything’s peachy!

I can’t help thinking that DreamHost could significantly reduce the support queue by ridding these forums of those damn ‘Internal Server Errors’.

I’m beginning to thing they don’t want any publically accessible forums available when it hits the fan - I mean how pathetic is it when a hosting company can’t even keep their own support forum running?