Site painfully slow

Hi,
My site is soo slow and completely unreasonable. Here’s what I don’t get…
When I check Dreamhoststatus.com com, I see nothing posted that’s particularly recent. I signed up for a new plan only last week or the week before so surely they would not stick me on a server with current problems right?

I checked the blog as well I see no info there posted that’s particularly recent…I checked this forum and I see only one complaint on sluggishness…yet my ticket has been collecting dust for nearly 24 hours so obviously, I am not the only one suffering, but what is it and what’s the ETA on it being resolved…I thought that’s what dreamhoststatus.com was all about.

Anyway, I have set this site up for someone and they are loosing their patience…I have had my account with dh since '99 and the reason why i recommended them. I would like to give dh another 24 hours. Unfortunately, when someone signs up at your recommendation, you feel like a dog when the recommendation is looking foolish.

If my site is still slower than slow should be, is it difficult to move an entire Joomla site to another host?

Thank you.

Chunky

Describe what you mean by “painfully slow” please. Page load times? Traceroute results? URL so that others can check?

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

ok. thanks.

www.xxxxxx.com

took my client 1.45 min just to load the home page…

times vary…sometimes comes up in 3 secs and other times it’s just under a minute…

traceroute results
Tracing route to www.xxxxxx.com [67.205.15.237]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
2 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 73.8.64.1
3 19 ms 10 ms 11 ms GE-2-2-ur01.N4atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68
.86.107.189]
4 11 ms 8 ms 9 ms te-9-4-ur01.b3marietta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [6
8.86.106.129]
5 13 ms 9 ms 9 ms 68.85.232.41
6 10 ms 12 ms 10 ms te-9-4-ur02.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68
.86.106.125]
7 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms te-9-4-ur01.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68
.86.106.13]
8 9 ms 9 ms 10 ms te-9-2-ar01.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68
.86.106.9]
9 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms po-2-ar02.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.8
6.106.5]
10 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms 64.209.97.14
11 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms 64.209.97.13
12 61 ms 59 ms 60 ms INTERNAP.te1-4.ar4.LAX1.gblx.net [64.215.30.78]

13 62 ms 60 ms 62 ms border20.t4-1-bbnet2.lax.pnap.net [216.52.255.10
1]
14 62 ms 61 ms 61 ms newdream-8.border20.lax.pnap.net [216.52.220.146
]
15 84 ms 108 ms 87 ms ip-66-33-201-70.dreamhost.com [66.33.201.70]
16 64 ms 63 ms 63 ms apache2-kant.pikachu.dreamhost.com [67.205.15.23
7]

Trace complete.

Thank you for your assistance

Chunky

After a pause of about 3 seconds, the page loads in about 2 seconds on my 6Mbit Comcast connection in Pennsylvania. I think this is fine considering the fact that the homepage is full of errors. My own homepage, which has a heavier graphic footprint but is free of errors, loads in about the same time.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

“describe what you mean by painfully slow”

lol… reminds me of “can you please describe the ruckus?” from ferris bueller’s day off.

painfully slow means it is slower than if you were on dial-up

Actually, I agree that actual timings are very important in these cases. People posting here on the forums have used “painfully slow” as anywhere between 6 seconds and 2 minutes. It’s also interesting to note whether it’s time to first response that’s slow or time for all the media to load, etc.

I don’t like to be pedantic, but I’d hate to discourage folks from being very specific with their observations when trying to get help debugging their performance problems!

As more info, I have the site loading in 5-6 seconds.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Site connects in about a second and loads in 2 seconds for me (DSL, Australia).

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Thanks.
I have received a response from support stating that my problems are a result of ‘serious problems’

‘Sorry about the downtime. A lot of you have already been receiving blingy status messages. Blingy is your cluster of machines for web, mysql, and email. The main file server for this cluster is having serious problems.’

To me painfully slow means that one would loose patience waiting for it to load. I don’t care if it is a nano second or 3 seconds but 10 seconds is definitely ‘painfully slow’ as well as the 1 minute and 45 seconds experienced by my customer.

At any rate, they are working on the problem…unfortunately,with no ETA…

Chunky

I am a relatively inexperienced user who can tell the difference between slow and acceptable by how frustrated I get after two or three minutes of watching a wheel go around and seeing ‘waiting for pinedog.ca’ to magically change. My site is way too slow.

My users also complain about the speed at certain times during the day. Dreamhost seem to offer no real solution. It’s obvious the servers are overloaded. Any suggestions? Is it feasible to switch to a dedicated server?

If you do a “wget” (which is a *ix utility, but there’s a DOS version you can run from the command prompt in Windows), it simply fetches the page and writes it to disk - there’s no time spent fetching images and other subordinate files, and no time spent rendering.

The home page of “www.xxxxxx.com” is 12,766 bytes. Wget calculated the speed of the connect at 20.44 kbps.

This is Verizon premium DSL, not the slow DSL, yet 20.44 kbps is slow on a 56 kbps dialup modem.

The home page of “pinedog.ca” is 24,597 bytes. The speed is 26.05 K/s.

One of my home pages is 28,576 bytes and it arrived at 81.12 K/s. Wow. Finally something faster than a dialup modem can do.

But google.com arrives at 376.69 KB/s.

Most websites don’t match Google, but average-good websites typically run about 200 K/s.

If you SSH in to your account, you can run “top”. At the top of the screen, it will show server load - 5, 10, and 15 minute averages. Bonk is currently showing 83.26, 48.40, 35.60. That’s really overloaded.

When I had a hosting company, I strove to keep server loads at 1.0 or less. Sometimes in peak hours (and admittedly, I’m posting in peak hours - it’s 11:30 PM in Pennsylvania) it would get up to 1.5 or even 2.0, but during slack times, it would drop to as little as 0.10 or 0.15.

I don’t know if the problems with Blingy are causing the problems on the web servers. Conceivably, it could. But jeesh, Marie, this has been going on for about a week and a half now, hasn’t it? This morning, it was so bad that I had sites that simply refused to come up, and I couldn’t fetch mail at all either with a client (couldn’t log in) or webmail (Error message: IMAP server dropped connection)

Is it feasible to switch to a dedicated server? Yes - but it can be expensive. For a low-end server at ThePlanet, you’re talking roughly $100/month; that’s an unmanaged server with no backup. Put a second drive in the machine so you can do backup, add cPanel/WHM control panel, and goose the RAM up from 500MB to 1GB, and you’re at about $150. You can get server management for about $50/month, more or less, depending on how good a manager you need to hire.

That’s actually a sign of a server that’s having file server problems - though it can be a sign of the server being hammered. It’s definitely something that support will look into for you.

BTW, I don’t think you can go by the KB/s that you get from downloading initial text pages from sites. That’s mostly indicative of your latency to the site, which obviously is better indicated by the “latency” statistic. :slight_smile:

KB/s is really only particularly useful when talking about sustained download speeds.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!